• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console has no display

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I've an '92 XJ 4.0 auto 4-dr 4x4. It has a overhead console that was factory installed when it was new. This console has cabin lights and also external temperature and compass. These are really neat! Unfortunately the temperature and compass were intermittent for a while and now do not function at all. I suspect some power supply problem since they came on / went dead at the same time. The cabin lights still work correctly.

Does anyone know how I remove the console? There are usually tricks to this sort of thing. Also, does anyone have a schematic diagram of the wiring of the console?

Thanks!
Mike

Mine has the same problem, but I have 1990. Its easy to take off. One long screw in the front, and then slide it back a bit...theres plastic tabs that clip over some metal brackets....I just yanked on mine and nothing broke :D

However, removing it didn't fix the problem. I poked around at the circuit boards looking for problems but didn't find any. If anybody has a wiring diagram, it would help a lot!

Thanks,

intermittant and then going out all together sounds like a bad ground possibly

i would check all wires/fuses BEFORE i ripped the thing off the overhead

CaptTrev said:
intermittant and then going out all together sounds like a bad ground possibly

i would check all wires/fuses BEFORE i ripped the thing off the overhead

What he said.

Stoped in to work after hours to check my threads. I printed up wiring diagram off of our Mitchell soft ware for a 92 xj. Wires are as follows black/light blue is ground for the compass, white/pink is 12 volts orange/black is the power wire for the illumination coming from the dimmer control switch, Dark blue/red is 12 volt signal from the head light switch for the head lights on indicator. There are actually two black light blue wires in the diagram. The black light blue that is right next to the violet/light green wire are the wires that go to the temp sensor mounted in the front grill of the vehicle. It is very simple first check all fuses. if fuses are o.k. remove overhead console to access wiring. With the key in the run position check for voltage using a test light of digital volt meter on the white/pink wire. If you have voltage then next check for ground from the black/light blue wire that is by the white/pink wire If you have voltage and ground and the wires are connected to the compass this means there is something wrong with the circutry of the compass. Remove compass and check for burnt trace paths on the board. If you do not have voltage or ground check for an open in the wire from there to the fuse box or grounding point. (ground point is on the right passanger side beneath the kick panel. If you do not have ground it will be just as easy to run a new ground wire from a good bare metal surface and connect it to the black/light blue wire at the compass. Good luck! If you ever need wiring information I have every make and model of vehicle at my disposal.

Just think: Because of the high electrical demand systems on the new vehicles to come ( the big three) cars / trucks of the future are going to run on a 36 volt system so they say. Then things will get interesting.

If you guys need the wiring diagrams and such for the overhead console hit me up with a PM and i'll be happy so send them to ya.

Mike

Back