• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding thin sheet to 3/16's???

calvin andrus

NAXJA Forum User
I'm borrowing a weldpak 100 from a friend and I am trying to weld 3/16 in steel to the rocker sheetmetal. Any ideas on settings? I messed with it for a while and I couldn't get a good setting/adjustment. I realize that it might be hard to get a good setting with this welder but if anyone has this welder or has some ideas for me I would appreciate the input. thanks
-calvin

A low setting is important, but mostly it's technique. Try to stay mostly on the 3/16 and let it flow into the sheet metal. Also, don't run a continuous bead because it will get too hot and you'll have a greater chance of blowing holes, run short beads. It takes a little practice, so be patient.

I hope you plan to paint everything afterwards. Welding onto that sheetmetal can be ugly, especially where you've had to fill a hole. :)

thanks guys, I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet because of school and work but when I fire the welder back up I'll give that a try. thanks
-calvin

Back