• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch box material/building questions

TPI MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wanting to mount a winch between the front frame rails and behind the grill. I've cut the front crossmember out and all the radiator supports. So far I've made two 4"x12"x.25" plates and welded them to the outside of the frame rails. I'm planning on doing the same to the inner frame rails. I then plan on running a piece of 8ish" wide .25" plate across the bottom of the rails and drilling it for the winch. The front bumper will be tied into this as well. As far as the bumper goes, it'll be a piece of rec. tube welded and gusseted to all 4 frame rail plates and the winch plate.

When it's all said and done I only want the Hawse fairlead and the hook sticking past the grill.

Now for the question...will it work?

oh. radiator is going in the back and I don't need a steering box.

I'm about to make a winch box with a friend and we are going to use .25 plate. But I noticed a lot of bumper makers use 3/16th.... Is the .25 over kill? Should I use 3/16th instead?

Ghost said:
I'm about to make a winch box with a friend and we are going to use .25 plate. But I noticed a lot of bumper makers use 3/16th.... Is the .25 over kill? Should I use 3/16th instead?

I would go with 1/4" plate. You can use 3/16" but overkill is not a bad thing especially with a winch mounting plate. The key is to make sure everything is reinforced and can take the stress of a winch pull. As Beezil would say "use lots of triangulation" :D

AARON

Actually the instruction book that came with my winch says either 3/16th" or 1/4"... But here is the Cardboard templet and mock up....
852113Templet.JPG

852114Wenchmount.JPG

I think it would depend on the size of the winch.

Sorry for the Hyjack TPI but it was the same topic I was about to start. It's a Warn M6K.

Ghost's template is about what I had in mind. I just messed up and deleted all my pics I had. This is the only one I got before I screwed up.

42463090.jpg

I'll take more later tonight and post up.

Im interested because im gonna have to hack up my front non-winch BPI front bumper/xmember/grille to accept a Warn. Where will you move your radiator? For me it is the biggest obstacle.

wow, I guess that does free up bit of space, huh? What are you doing, Ghost?

Back