• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TDC Timing Mark

rws

NAXJA Forum User
Have a stock 1990 4.0 liter MJ. Is there a TDC timing mark on the harmonic balancer?? I can not see one,yet there has to be one,right??

There should be a notch in the rim, but it (oddly) doesn't seem to matter for Renix. I've turned the distributor around 180* and back on my 87 - while it was running! - without even a real stumble. Add in that the 4.0 is internally balanced, and the part is truly a "Harmonic Damper" rather than a "Harmonic Balancer."

Yeah - you should be able to find a timing mark on the rim, but all you can really do accurately is static engine timing. I checked a couple Renix XJ's with a timing light and got readings of around 30-40* BTDC (yes, I had someone else check them as well.) Take timing readings with a grain of salt... The ECM has, apparently, a great deal of latitude in advancing/retarding timing...

5-90

Mine has a notch on the motor side of the damper (really small and hard/impossible to see). With a new to me XJ, I usually, use a small T square, mark the outside (front) of the damper and notch it with a cold chisel.
I´ve got a related guestion, is the index ("0") notch on the timing scale, the last notch or the next to last notch? I´ve read both, in various manuals.
The only time I use the timing marks, is for removal/replacement of the distributor and/or initial set-up of the motor.
Like 5-90 mentioned, there is really no iginition timing that can be set. Just initial set-up and sometimes after market cams (distributor gear varaiations) need to be delt with. Changing the position of the distributor, doesn´t change timing, but can affect the cam position sensor in the distributor (which also has a broad operating range).
If you have what appears to be timing issues, it is often a faulty sensor. Sometimes worn distributor gears or timing chain. The distributor in my 88 has an amazing amount of play in the gears and also the shaft moves up and down a rather large amount. Soon to be replaced with a tighter distributor and possibly a new timing chain.

Back