• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30... locker, spool or weld it up?

LOCKED UP

NAXJA Forum User
Just looking for opinions.....

Working an a d30 with manual hubs so street manners are a non issue.

Carrier is currently empty, so welding spiders involves buying spiders... I can get a lock rite for $220... unsure of spool prices though.

I'm leaning towards the lock rite .... so I can at least sorta turn on the trails...

Thoughts?

I would say with the manual hubs just weld it up. I am of the belief of not spending money on the d30 and any locker costs money though you have presumably spent quite a bit on the hub conversion. What I have done and love the results are run the disco axle welded so I always have power to the drivers front then I use a little vac. switch so when I need it I can simply flip the switch and have both fronts working. It has worked well for me. In my experience with other locking front ends it seams everytime I was trying to turn I was under power and the detroit or other would be locked anyway and make it difficult to turn, so It basically acted like a spool anyway.

YMMV

Justin

SO you think it would be better/cheaper to get spiders & weld them over a spool?

Anyone else?

Oh and yeah the hub conversion wasn't cheap ... but $580 delivered isn't too bad ... or at least cheaper then usual

AFAIK, no one makes a spool for a D30, so welding is the only option besides one limited slip & several brand of lockers

you can pick up the spiders at any junkyard might take some time but they will be real cheap or you could try ebay. I have a few sets laying around here but they are still in the axles under 8 inches of snow right now. point is there are plenty of people looking to get rid of this stuff

LOCKED UP said:
SO you think it would be better/cheaper to get spiders & weld them over a spool?

Anyone else?

I'm running a Lock Right on a non-disco axle and the turning issues are not as bad as everyone said they would be.

Looking at your website photos and the terrain you run, I would go with the automatic locker.

I used mine in the snow recently with no noticeable ill effects and, running the tight woods trails of the Pacific Northwest, steering hasn't been a problem.

Welding your spiders would likely be much more difficult.

John90XJ said:
I'm running a Lock Right on a non-disco axle and the turning issues are not as bad as everyone said they would be.

Looking at your website photos and the terrain you run, I would go with the automatic locker.

I used mine in the snow recently with no noticeable ill effects and, running the tight woods trails of the Pacific Northwest, steering hasn't been a problem.

Welding your spiders would likely be much more difficult.

Thanks. Thats kinda the direction I was leaning ... just wanted to see what others thought.

Yeah, terrain isn't too varied down here ... trees & mud ... only rocks we see are in fishtanks... or covered with vodka :D

I agree, steering with an automatic front locker isn't that big of a deal.

I ran a welded D30 in my YJ for years with good luck! I ran 33" MTR's and wheeled pretty hard! I had the cable actuator though so if needed i disengaged it on the trail for a tight turn! 9 times out of 10 though, i left it locked! and that was with the standard hubs! with manual hubs, i think welding would be great! just make sure its done right!

my .02

Go with the Lock-Rite! Or EZ-Locker! But don't weld it. To much mess.I've got a Lock-Rite in my D30 With problems at all! It actually steers better then with out? Sort of like rack-in-pinion.

I think you're on the right track with the LockRight. It isn't much moeny and you won't regret using it. There are plenty of reasons why you could end up regreting running the D30 welded.

depends on what you're going to be doing to the jeep later if you plan on upgrading axles in the near future. If not I would go with the lockrite just because I've had good experiances with my rear lockrite, and have lots of friends that run lockrites f/r with lots of success.

Back