• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More roll bar and cage questions

TLange

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry about making another post about cages today but the other thread kind of got long and I'm asking a different question anyway.

Does anyone here know anybody in the Omaha, NE area who would be willing to build a cage for me? I'm not looking for freebies, I'll pay $ within reason.
I always do my own work my Jeep but I'm not a welder. There are a few kits available but they require welding. Rusty's sales a bolt in single roll bar but it's made out of 2" tubing and I was hoping to use something smaller. There is one company here in Omaha that "may be willing" to take a look at it. He said around $2000 to start with. I think $2000 to fab a six point cage is out of bounds.

The goal with my cage would be to protect the passengers in an end-over. I think the XJ protects fine in a side roll. However, I witnessed an easy end-over and the roof came down on the driver. He was OK but any harder and he may not have been OK. Do I "need" a cage? Yes, my children often ride with me and I do wheel difficult trails where many others won't follow.

For now, I would start with an internal cage, maybe just A and B pillar and tied to the upper front seat belt mount. Later on when I'm ready, I would want to tie in an exo cage through the top. This would come after I upgrade both bumpers.

Thanks!!

You might have more luck posting in your chapter forum if you haven't already.
Good luck,
Billy

TLange said:
Sorry about making another post about cages today but the other thread kind of got long and I'm asking a different question anyway.

Does anyone here know anybody in the Omaha, NE area who would be willing to build a cage for me? I'm not looking for freebies, I'll pay $ within reason.
I always do my own work my Jeep but I'm not a welder. There are a few kits available but they require welding. Rusty's sales a bolt in single roll bar but it's made out of 2" tubing and I was hoping to use something smaller. There is one company here in Omaha that "may be willing" to take a look at it. He said around $2000 to start with. I think $2000 to fab a six point cage is out of bounds.

The goal with my cage would be to protect the passengers in an end-over. I think the XJ protects fine in a side roll. However, I witnessed an easy end-over and the roof came down on the driver. He was OK but any harder and he may not have been OK. Do I "need" a cage? Yes, my children often ride with me and I do wheel difficult trails where many others won't follow.

For now, I would start with an internal cage, maybe just A and B pillar and tied to the upper front seat belt mount. Later on when I'm ready, I would want to tie in an exo cage through the top. This would come after I upgrade both bumpers.

Thanks!!

Who is quoting you that in Omaha? Im in Omaha and slowly building up the Heep and we are planning on making our own cage. My buddy thats workin on the jeep with me is a good welder. We havent started our cage yet cause the suspension is gettin torn into and the new axles are sittin on the ground. We are thinking of just runnin a full exo cage but itll probobly change. I dont know what chapter NE is either I tried to figure that out a while ago. Anyway whats the specs on your Jeep?

Heep said:
Who is quoting you that in Omaha? Im in Omaha and slowly building up the Heep and we are planning on making our own cage. My buddy thats workin on the jeep with me is a good welder. We havent started our cage yet cause the suspension is gettin torn into and the new axles are sittin on the ground. We are thinking of just runnin a full exo cage but itll probobly change. I dont know what chapter NE is either I tried to figure that out a while ago. Anyway whats the specs on your Jeep?

Thank You for your reply!!

That was a verbal estimate from Mike's HP for an 8 point cage. It was $1500 for a cage that they have already designed (Mastang, Camaro) plus time for design. I would be happy starting out with a 6 point cage or just a roll bar with triangulation. Would you ask your welding freind if he's for hire and then PM me if he is?

Specs on my XJ:
4" lift, Firestone Destination MT tires, rear Detorit, front No Slip, Herculined floor, various armor in clever places, swaybar disconnects and lots of other stuff. It also has many rivets and about a gallon of POR-15.

Back