• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a friendly reminder..

Gary E

NAXJA Member #687
That its not such a bad idea to upgrade to 3/8th center pins :)

centerpins.jpg

I don't think it was the three stacked lift blocks, I think it was all the traction the 38.5 tires with the welded dana 35 out back man thats a tough setup. I knew I should of ran some of those slapper bars off of the 70s camaros, that would of fixed it :roll:

Im glad this came up. How am i suppsosed to fit the bolt in the origanal holes? Their too big. I tried drilling though a leaf spring along time ago. Impossible then. I've got a press now. Is that what I have to do?

Its not bad to enlarge the hole, but yes making a new hole is pretty much impossible. I just used my dewalt cordless and a 3/8ths bit. I also left the pack mostly together so I was going through multiple leaves at a time.

And for those that might really be wondering, the pins were on a locked 8.8 with 35s, a 1 inch block and an anti-wrap bar.

csudman said:
Im glad this came up. How am i suppsosed to fit the bolt in the origanal holes? Their too big. I tried drilling though a leaf spring along time ago. Impossible then. I've got a press now. Is that what I have to do?

You can drill the holes out. Spring steel is very tough stuff...yes, but I just did mine last week when I put my d44 in. Here is what I recommend. Get three or four good metal bits. I found them around $12 US. Ouch, I know. Don't buy the best ones IMHO. Then take your time and drill. Drill slow w/oil and use good pressure. Don't let it get too hot, take some time if you want to save your bits. I haven't found a bit that will do both sides. I had a $24 bit and it only drilled 1/2 through one side. I opted for the $12 bits and it went about as well. The real cheap metal bits didn't want to do much to the spring steel.

No need for a press, but if you have them off already that would be good.

Curt

My pins routinely get mangled too, and I've never run blocks, just an AAL and shackle for a 3.5" lift. I tried drilling them out once and it ate my bit. It wasn't a high-quality bit, but I can't see spending $25-$50 on drill bits for springs that need bushings too, when the current-size center pins cost less than $1 each. I'm just holding out until I can eventually buy a whole new spring pack. Do the RE spring packs or others come with the larger pins already?

The RE packs do use the 3/8" pins,thats why you also have to drill out the perches!

Ya know, you only have to buy 1 bit. Learn how to sharpen your bits on a bench grinder and life will turn out to be so much simpler than it seems.

Sean

I'm just tool-challenged :). Have to get a bench grinder and a garage to put it in.

Masonry bits work well too and much cheaper than high quality Co or Ti bits.

You want fun though.
Try drilling (4) 1/2" dia holes through 13 leaves at 1/4" thick per leave. New holes, not enlarging.
That's a little over a foot of spring steel!

That day.......
That was a sh!tty day.
Several Co bits, Ti bits, masonry bits and hours on the Drill Doctor while longing for an end mill.

I tried using a bench grinder to sharpen bits that is a big pain 100 bucks buys the drill doctor and works perfect. you can get it from any snap on truck

Good information.

Whoa! Talk about ressurected!!!

Back