• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post Oil Change

8700XJS

NAXJA Forum User
1) I changed the oil in my 2000 the other day for the first time since I bought it. I put the full 6 quarts of Valvoline 10w-30 in it and know I seem to be hearing a noise similar to a Diesel. I do not know what the previous owner used for wieght. I see no problem with oil pressure or performance. It runs, start and drives absolutely great. I don't remember the sound before the oil change. I got under it while it was running and it seems to be coming from the rear main seal area.

I have read other threads here that talks about thicker oil taking the diesel out of the 4.0's. Is this a noise that is common to Cherokees?

2) I live in the high desert of California. What oil should I use? I run the same Valvoline in my 87.

Kenny

any way to find out what the original owner used? Is there a sticker on the inside of the drivers door? What type of filter are you using? I had similar noises when I went from an OEM filter to a K&N. I immeadiately switched back to the original factory filter and the noise went away. BTW, I use only Mobil1 10/30.

I bought the Jeep from a place in Hollywood that buys vehicles from dealerships and resells them. There are no stickers because the thing was detailed before I got it. In the car I used to have I only used Mobile One fully synth. 10w-30 but was not sure if I could start using it on the new XJ. Will it hurt the motor if I switch now?

Also I am not sure how many miles are on the motor. Like I said it runs like a new motor and is very clean. The build date for the vehicle is 8-99 the build date on the block is 5-2000. The engine I believe has been changed.

Kenny

sbxj said:
any way to find out what the original owner used? Is there a sticker on the inside of the drivers door? What type of filter are you using? I had similar noises when I went from an OEM filter to a K&N. I immeadiately switched back to the original factory filter and the noise went away. BTW, I use only Mobil1 10/30.

Why would using a K&N filter cause any problems? I've always used Fram and have never had any issues for any of my cars...never tried the OEM filter on the XJ though. :p

I dont't think you should worry too much. You have an excellent choice in oil, and besides, it takes a lot more than oil brands to kill a 4.0.

as a side note, I use K&N oil filter and Mobil 1 and it works perfect. Btw, yes you can switch to Mobil 1 without much trouble or potential leaks on such a late model.

I use nothing but Castrol Syntec @ 5w50.. Don't have any problems or noises?

pancake said:
Why would using a K&N filter cause any problems? I've always used Fram and have never had any issues for any of my cars...never tried the OEM filter on the XJ though. :p
I don't know why but my 4.0 doesn't like anthing but the Factory filters. Maybe because that's all it has ever known. A Jeep mechanic told me that the OE filter is preffered (something about a valve that retains oil for start up.) Not to question your choice but the majority of opinions I have read about using Fram filters have not been favorable.

Last edited:
Back