• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering stabilizer

westsacxj

NAXJA Forum User
this might sound like a dumb question for some of you. im trying to replace my steering stabilizer. i got the castle nut of but cant get the stud out of the center link. i did a search and someone asked the same question but there were no replies.
TIA

Can you use it to mount the new stablizer ? Guess not if you want it out.I have done several and all were a MPITA.
If you have a new one--beat on the old one with a big hammer,a little heat on the bar can help.
A big C-clamp and sockets can press it out.Air hammer.
Muscle and determination will eventually win.
Wayne

In case it isn't clear, this stud is tapered, like a tie rod end. A tie rod puller can do it, as can the "poor man's" tie rod puller: try to put some leverage on the thing (a "pickle fork" might do it, or just a big lever in the right place), and then don't hit the threaded end of the stud, but take a biggish steel hammer and hit the side of the part the stud is inserted into (you're striking at 90 degrees from the direction of the stud, not trying to drive it out directly). If you can hit it hard enough and just right the stud will pop out. This will usually work even without any leverage on the part but it helps.

Never try to drive a tapered stud out by hammering on the threaded end. It will almost never work, and will mangle the end.

lol that fawking thing. i tried using a damn pitman arm puller to get it out but it wouldnt budge, it was cold welded in. anyway, i got out the grinder and ground of the stabilizer and am now using a plate and u-bolt mounting system

i got it. just hit the center link a few times then hit the stud and it popped right out. thanx for the help

lucky man, lucky

Back