• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What's the best axles to interchange with my stock XJ axles (Dana 30, Corp. 8.25) if I want to run bigger meats? If I go with 1 ton axles or 3/4 ton axles what is my best bet for scoring axles in a scrap yard that wil adapt the easiest under the XJ? Would I have to go full width or will something like 70's year Dana 44's fit under there? Were any of the older Cherokee/Wagoneers front axles coil sprung?

Thanks guys!!

Old Ford full-size truck axles for the front, D44 high pinion. Tons of info out there, search the past posts. Or Wagoneer, which isn't as good but is easier. For the rear, I personally don't think it's enough of an upgrade to put a 44 in it from an 8.25, so get alloys for the 8.25 or go 60 or 14-bolt full width.

xj92 said:
For the rear, I personally don't think it's enough of an upgrade to put a 44 in it from an 8.25, so get alloys for the 8.25 or go 60 or 14-bolt full width.

Depends on which 8.25 he's got.

All I know is it's the stock 8.25 that came with my 91 XJ. How about going Ford 8.8 in the rear from a 89 + Ford Explorer? Same width and bolt pattern aren't they, or close? I don't know much about the front axle swaps cause of the coil springs and from what I understand coils aren't the easiest thing to adapt to a formerly leaf sprung axle.

Get axles out of an f150 or bronco big bearing 31 spline 9 inch rear, and dana 44 up front flip the coil mounting plates(narrows the coil mounting stance) use the radius arms and build a crossmember to use the radius arms as longarms. Thats what I would do If I was starting over. With warns and CTMs 37s would be a good sized tire to run. I might be tempted to convert the 44 to 8 lug and get a 14 bolt rear so I could run hummer rims though.

TB-XJ said:
All I know is it's the stock 8.25 that came with my 91 XJ. How about going Ford 8.8 in the rear from a 89 + Ford Explorer? Same width and bolt pattern aren't they, or close? I don't know much about the front axle swaps cause of the coil springs and from what I understand coils aren't the easiest thing to adapt to a formerly leaf sprung axle.

That 8.25 is only 27 spline (in which case a D44 would definitely be an upgrade); '97s and up were the stronger 29 spline 8.25s. The only 8.8s that are worth the time would be the Exploder '95 and newer; these have 31 spline shafts and disc brakes.

Back