• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting off cast perch

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 44 out of a '76 f-250 and it has the cast spring perch on the driver's side (just like THIS one). I'm wondering how much of that POS I can cut off. I know with the cast radius arm mounts, you can't cut any off, but I beleive the tube goes quite a ways into the housing on this.
I'm going to be using brackets like THESE and don't want to have the whole left side held on by a cast weld.
Thanks!
Billy

Actually your best move for welding to the cast is to run a small root weld, let the heat saturate the part for a while and then do a nice fat bead across the cast/root bead/bracket area. A good mig with c25 gas will work fine.

Or you can preheat the cast with a torch to about 400 +/- and weld it up in one fat pass.

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
Actually your best move for welding to the cast is to run a small root weld, let the heat saturate the part for a while and then do a nice fat bead across the cast/root bead/bracket area. A good mig with c25 gas will work fine.

Or you can preheat the cast with a torch to about 400 +/- and weld it up in one fat pass.

mark

Do you think cutting it off is a bad idea or just a waste of time?

Economos said:
If you try cutting it off, won't there be a "hole" in the tube where the cast perch use to be?

No... that's with the cast radius arms. The tube goes a ways under the cast leaf perch. Dazz cut his off when he did his 44 swap like a week or so ago... I just wanna make sure it's not going to make the tube pull out or anything (which I doubt).
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
No... that's with the cast radius arms. The tube goes a ways under the cast leaf perch. Dazz cut his off when he did his 44 swap like a week or so ago... I just wanna make sure it's not going to make the tube pull out or anything (which I doubt).
Billy

Ok, cause I knew that was the case with the radius arm mounts, but wasn't sure about the leaf spring mounts.

If you have access to a stick welder at all than your best option would be to get some high nickle rod & go to work. With the mig take Marks advise. Preheat the area & also post heat so it cools slow. I'm afraid if you cut it off it would weaken the housing too much.

Matt

Back