• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33 x 11.50's

XJBill

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody make a 33 x 11.50 in MT's? I currently am running BFG 32 x 11.50's AT's and all I want to do is go up an 1" in tire size and go to MT's. 33 x 11.50. I don't want narrower (10.50's) and I don't really want to go wider (12.50's). Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I've never heard of a 33x11.5 MT, but Goodyear does have MTRs in metric size that is close to a 33x11, as far as I remember. I believe they are 285/70r16s. (Yes, I know MTRs are not mud tires.) You would have to buy 16in rims to run the tires though. I have BFG 33x10.5 MTs and I dont think they are TOO skinny. Heres a pic for you...

fa0e57d7.jpg

fa0e57de.jpg

Nice XJ. I saw those pics in the BPI Fab rear w/ tire carrier and Dubzfab rock ring thread. Your right, they don't look too skinny. I'm running 15x8 rims but I guess that doesn't matter. The tire is still wider than the rim.

Someone told me that 12.50's have a greater "turning revolution mass", I think they called it, than a 10.50.. Does that really make a noticeable difference?

Just think about a 12.5" vs 10.5" wide tire. There is more rubber. This means more spinning mass. At a given speed, which tire do you think it would take more energy to bring to a stop. The one with more mass of course. This implies that you would have to brake harder to stop in the same distance as with the smaller tires. Additionally, you'll spend more $$ on gas since there is going to be greater rolling resistance.

One piece of advice. I am running trXus MTs on TJ Canyon 15x8 rims. I have blown the bead 3 times on 2 different tires in a total of three runs. This is while running at 16 PSI. Granted, the conditions were not optimal, but none the less, I've had problems. If you are going to continue running the 15x8 rims, then I would go with a wider tire, i.e. the 12.5 inchers.

The 33x11 in a metric tire is a 285/75 16. I believe this is the perfect sized 33 for an XJ's wheel well. It's somewhere between a wide flotation tire and a pizza cutter. I ran them on my XJ with 4.5" of lift, trimmed fenders and 4.5" of BS on the rims, and they stuffed perfectly. HTH

Arya

Jeep'nD said:
... I am running trXus MTs on TJ Canyon 15x8 rims.

I suppose it would have helped if I had said I was running 31"x10.5" tires and the backspacing is 5.25" I believe.

Back