• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting Mopar Tow Hooks....

wvjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of Mopar Tow hooks (2 Front & the rear too) that I want to put on my XJ and am unsure as to how difficult it is to mount them on the vehicle.....does the front bumper need to be removed, is everything pre-drilled or does it require surgery/tools/etc? thanks for any input!

Mopar Tow Hooks Mounting Question....

I have a set of Mopar Tow hooks (2 Front & the rear too) that I want to put on my XJ and am unsure as to how difficult it is to mount them on the vehicle.....does the front bumper need to be removed, is everything pre-drilled or does it require surgery/tools/etc? thanks for any input!

Re: Mopar Tow Hooks Mounting Question....

OK, for the front, unless you got the bumper brackets which are two hook friendly(or towhook ready :D), you'd have to get a new set of brackets + this little piece that braces them (one for each bracket). For the rear you'd have to get the single bracket as well.

Re: Mopar Tow Hooks Mounting Question....

wvjeep said:
Yes you will have to remove the front bumper. The new hardware replaces the old bumper mounting hardware. Some of the bolts require torx sockets. On the inside of the bumper on the passenger side is a plastic ball. Don't forget to unbolt it from the bumper before you pull the bumper off.

You will also have to remove the rear bumper. You should have a "nut strip" to slide into the frame from the rear.

RR3

I know when I put hooks on my XJ last summer I had to do a lot of extra clearancing to get everything to line up. There are some holes in sheet metal that did not line up on my rig. The hook brackets were spot on, it was DC's handywork that leaves a lot to be desired.

mine wer bolt on for my 2000. everything fit tight and they were well tested the next day. you do have to take off the front bumper. i also had to cut out small sections of the fiberglass cowl under the bumper for them to fit through.

The bumper and end caps need to come off. (EASY) Watch for the plastic ball inside the bumper. Replace the original bumper brackets with the new bumper/tow hook brackets and the reinforcement bracket for the hooks. They go from the tow hooks forward/upward to the frame rail. Everything is predrilled on my 2000.

Check out the link for some pictures and ideas.

http://hometown.aol.com/xjtim/index1.html

Back