• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets talk about steering.......

BajaXJ92

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'm not sure what the hell is wrong w/ my steering. This problem has only started since its been cold outside, as in 40* and below. :(

When I get in my heep in the morning and fire it up, reverse out of the driveway and try to turn, the steering is STIFF as hell. Its almost like I'm braking it free of binding. I can hear the pump struggling, but I really have to put some muscle into the wheel to turn it. After I do this it seems to "pop" and start whining alot. After I get going down the road and it loosens up a little, it feels like it has flat spots in the steering, as well as the usual loose steering feel. After a few miles of driving down the road, the steering seems to return to normal. What could be causing this? I dont know much about power steering. PS pump going? Thanks for the help.

-Adam

When you figure it out let me know. I have been fighting this EXACT problem on my '87. When I bought (for only a dollar) the power steering pump was empty. I replace it but nothing else in the system. Turns out that there is a leak in either my return line or the steering gear itself. When it sits for a while, such as overnight or while at work the steering is tough until the jeep is running for a bit. My thought was that the fluid, because of the leak just needs to get back through the gear box. Anyways I am going to replace both lines and the gear to see if that fixes it.

As to the problem happing when it is cold...I have no idea why it is worse than when it is warm. Luckily I live in the desert.

Kenny
1987 & 2000 XJ's

2 items come to mind, joint in the steering shaft is about shot or is rusty and binding up, or a ujoint is shot and is seizing up. I'd check the steering shaft 1st, had a FS Cherokee that would do that, usually after it was exposed to some road salt then sat for a day or 2, it acted like just what you are describing. The Ujoint usually just makes it pull funny at the most unoppertune times :eyes:
Mike B

I have the same problem. Just like you described - the steering pops after you crank it around then it is fine. My steering also makes a creaking noise as I turn - sounds like a door in a horror movie. I don't have a cracked frame, all bolts are tight as well as the trac bar. I checked my shaft at it isn't rusted - no salt on the roads in AZ. I lubed it as well. How do I check the tiny u-joints? Also if I have to replace it, how do you get it off of the splines?

Back