• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

this is bad

89 XJer

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my injectors on my 89 4.0l with the mustang 19lb injectors.
I put everything back together and turned the key to on but not start to test for leaks. I have a very steady drip almost stream coming from the round circle thing on the front of the fuel rail. It looks like that it might be leaking from where this particular part and the begining of the fuel rail are connected. Any suggestions I have to go to work so i have not taken the two torx bolt of of that peice to see if i can remove it from the fuel rail. I'm sorry i do not know the name of the component it has a small tube that plugs into the front of it and is betweet the fuel rail and the inlet fuel line. Please help

Slow down... Take a deep breath or two...

That component at the front end of the fuel rail is the fuel pressure regulator. If you bought an oring kit, it would have had 13 orings for six injectors (2 each) plus the regulator.

It removes fairly easily, take off the two small Torx bolts and wiggle it out. It takes the same oring as the fuel injectors, and make sure you lube it before installation. It's the sort of thing you "should have changed while you were in there..." Whenever you disassemble something like that, it's always a good idea to change everything - face it, you've got it torn to bits already and it's not that much more work to do the stuff you don't need to do... YET.

5-90

89 XJer said:
I just replaced my injectors on my 89 4.0l with the mustang 19lb injectors.
I put everything back together and turned the key to on but not start to test for leaks. I have a very steady drip almost stream coming from the round circle thing on the front of the fuel rail. It looks like that it might be leaking from where this particular part and the begining of the fuel rail are connected. Any suggestions I have to go to work so i have not taken the two torx bolt of of that peice to see if i can remove it from the fuel rail. I'm sorry i do not know the name of the component it has a small tube that plugs into the front of it and is betweet the fuel rail and the inlet fuel line. Please help
Out of curiosity,where did you get the pony injectors and how much did they cost.I'm thinking of converting my 89 xj to these.Thanks

Source for Ford Fuel Injectors

I bought a set from fiveomotorsports, good service, fair price (about $130??). I'm running the standard (not performance) ford injectors in a 1990 4.0, and it runs great. They are a metal-bodied injector....not sure if they are two-part like the Jeep OEM injectors (which failed by leaking at the seam). The step-up grade area one-piece plastic body, from the pictures.
Try http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/
4xBob

Thank you 5-90, I just got home from work and looked at the o-ring in the pressure regulator and it seems tight and i noticed no cracks in it. I s it possible to have a pressure regulator leak from the seam that is on it? because it looks like it comes from there, although it could have been running down from the rail.

She is road-worthy again. I replaced the fuel rail and pressure regulator for $10 from a u-pull it. It took awhile to start but now it runs great! Thanks for all your help

Back