• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 27 to 29 spline conversion problem.

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
In 16 degree weather this morning I took apart a 8.25 from a 2000 and my 93 8.25 intending to stick the 29 spline shafts and side/spider gears into the 93 and the 27 spline shafts and side/spider gears into the 2000.

I had everthing apart and found that the 27spline side gears did not fit into the carrier of the newer, 29 spline, carrier. There was a ton of play. The 29 spline side gears were clearly bigger than the 27 ones.
I was switching shafts in preparation for a 29 spline no slip that Im buying, but now im confused. Is there a difference in carrier between the 29 and 27 spline axles? The difference in side gears would make it seem so. Will the no slip fit into my old carrier?. I know some of you have swapped in bigger shafts along with a no-slip. What am I missing?

I tried a search, but came up with nothing similar.

I meant difference between the 29 and 27 spline carrieres.

As far as I know there isn't a difference in size. I'll call my parts guy at DC and check the part#s. I do know however that when you buy new spiders from DC you receive 4 different size shims.
Wish I could help more, Rensing

There is a difference in the size of the openings for the axles and the side gears between the 29 spline and the 27 spline.

You will need to swap the entire innerds, carriers, spiders and axle shafts to make it work - but it should work.

I went from 27 to 29 in my '93 without knowing this - so i learned the hardway. I had ordered a 29 spline NoSlip and 29 spline axles thinking the same thing.

bburge

Thanks for the info. I could have sworn some people have done a straight up swap though.

Back