• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loose steering

JGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
'89 xj, 4.0, auto, 195k miles. I've recently replaced lca's, track bar, front swaybar bushings and I'm pretty sure I've got the adjustment on the power steering box tightened down, but on the road the jeep likes to wander. Nothing major, but I do constantly move the steering wheel to check it's course. Would be nice to hold a straight line down the freeway. What should I check out next.

I have had similar work done on my 88 XJ. You did not say upper control arm bushings, Did you leave out of the list or have you not changed them. I'd replace them also if you had not.

There is some talk about slop in the steering shaft - steering column to steering box - but I have not experienced that problem.

If you have not done the UCA bushings - I know they are a pain to the the axle end - but that should solve your wonder problem.

Shortly after I replaced all those same items I installed a steering box brace. I ordered braces from both Rusty's and Mountain Offroad (MORE).

The Rusty's bracket will work on any XJ without the aux trans cooler. I had it wanting the same space as the cooler lines.

The MORE brace will work on any vehicle without tow hook brackets. I ended up driling a hole through my tow hook bracket so I could install the 5/8 inch bolt for the More brace.

Before the brace I noticed going over RR crossings my steering wheel would move. Once I installed the brace the steering wheel does not move when I cross the RR tracks or hit pot holes.

I just ordered my MORE brace. Dumb question - how do I know if I have the aux trans cooler? If so, how do I make it fit. JGXJ - what tires do you run? Have you checked the tread. I had the M.T. Baja Belted and my truck would wander like Glen Close was driving!
Ben

If the play is in the steering shaft I can highly recomend the Flaming River shafts, they are pricey but are worth the money. I have them in 3 of my vehicles and the steering is now better than the day they rolled out of the factory, no play whatsoever.
Mike B.

If the play is in the steering gear box (hold output shaft steady while moving input shaft on gear box side of the ujoint to check) I would just replace it with a rebuilt one from autozone. I did and it reduce much of the slop. Also check your ujoint on the shaft. I had about 3 inches of steering wheel side to side slop and now it is about 1 inch. My track bar replacement also got rid of the tendency to lose its track on curves and require constant adjustment. The track bar from the factory on the early models had no lub fitting at the frame resulting in a worn joint which allowed the whole axle to shift a little. My new one does and I keep it well lubed. Greg

Back