• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Brake Lights Not Working . . .

Red1

NAXJA Forum User
It is probably the fuse, but I do not know. Where are the fuse(s) for the rear brake lights? ? ?

I doubt that it is the switch, because the brake light inside goes on when the emergency bake is on. The running lights turn on, but no brake lights.

Last thing, if it is not the fuse, what else could it be?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fuse, the lamps, the switch or the wires. Don't discount the switch, the parking brake doesn't activate the brake pedal switch.

Brake Lights

The light inside the jeep goes on when the parking brake is on, so I would think normal brake lights would turn on too (they use to).

Where the heck is the fuse for the rear brake lights? And is there more than one?

Thanks!

First, as already stated, the interior brake warning light (for the parking brake) is in no way connected to the brake lights at the rear of the vehicle, so don't even think about a correlation.

Second, different year XJs have different wiring and different fuse panel locations, so you should include the year and model in your post when asking for help. If you have an '84 through '96, the fuse is in a panel under the dashboard, up over the driver's left foot. If you have a '97 or newer, there are two fuse panels, one under the hood and one in the front passenger footwell, behind the trim panel forward of the front door. I don't know which of those might hold the brake light fuse.

Check the switch first. It's a mechanical switch mounted under the dash that operates a plunger as the pedal swings.

One more thing

It is a '91 with 230,000 on it and still purring like a beast. Been in the family and looks BRAND new. Take Care

230? cool!! I'll be hitting 200 here in a month or so. And I don't even change my oil regularly..... I love Jeeps

Back