• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going with 17" rims...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I need to buy new tires (35s) and I am thinking of going with the TRXus in 17". I am wondering if this will make my onroad ride better? I am just wondering what the benifits are for going from 15" to 17" rims on and offroad?

Thanks

It should, less side roll in your tires. When I get my 39.5" Irocs I'm runnin a 20" rim.

The other thing, although I dont think it matters for you. Is in compititoin the tire won't roll as much. Allowing you to run closer to cones w/out hitting them.

If your only concern was ON road it would definately help.

But a 35" tire on a 17" rim won't have much sidewall. And of course you want that offroad. You won't be able to air dowm much, I'd guess, because you'll already be on your rims.

I'd go 35 on 16, or if you want 17" rims, go 37's. Yeah, a lot of the competition rockcrawlers are now running 17" rims, but with 37-40" tires.

A 35" tire on a 17" rim will have a 9" sidewall, which is what you have running a 33" tire on a 15" rim. It will improve on-road handling, just decide if a 9" sidewall is enough for you.

17's are where its at.

I can't comment on 17's from an on-road standpoint, nor do I have any experience with them on 35" tires, but from a different viewpoint, 17" rims will be VERY beneficial if you ever run them on axles with huge brake calipers. Its about the only way you can swallow, say a dual piston 3/4 ton ford caliper WITHOUT grinding the caliper.

also, you'll be able to run a numercially high offset on fullsize axles, you you have a more optimal trackwidth, but that all depends on where you wheel mostly.

Back