• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE's long arm delay, other lift options?

Capt. Nemo

NAXJA Member #904
I'm really interested in buying the new RE long arm kit that is coming out, but I have been told by a number of people that its availability keeps getting pushed further and further back. I know that other companies are offering a long arm kit, or are going to offer one soon. Is there any reason I should hold out for a RE kit?
In the meantime, does anyone have any opinions about Full-Traction's suspension systems. They are coming out with a long arm kit also and I have been told that they have some features that RE can't match. What would those features be???

Capt. Nemo said:
I'm really interested in buying the new RE long arm kit that is coming out, but I have been told by a number of people that its availability keeps getting pushed further and further back. I know that other companies are offering a long arm kit, or are going to offer one soon. Is there any reason I should hold out for a RE kit?
In the meantime, does anyone have any opinions about Full-Traction's suspension systems. They are coming out with a long arm kit also and I have been told that they have some features that RE can't match. What would those features be???

Hey Eric,
Full Traction kit is a 4-link, like stock set-up. keeps the pinion at the same angle throughout the travel, unlike RE's radius arms (2-link) where the pinion follows the angle of the arm. I know I wouldn't be able to run FT kit, cause the bracket will interfere with my rocker frame mounts and i'm not dirtching my ORGS rockers.
Also, Clayton makes a long-arm upgrade kit. Another plus for RE long arm is that the frame mounts are tucked up, whereas Clayton's hang below the frame rail.
Stay away from Tera (if the still make it) and Tomken kits, as they are not trully long arm. Rusty's makes a long arm kit, but you will find many people dissatisfied with products and service from him.

I have seen the ZJ kit installed already now and it looked pretty good, the rear is a little funky, but you wont have that with the XJ kit.

the mounts for the arms, tuck up above the crossmember and are protected which I thought was pretty cool..

I am still not a fan of the Radius deal, but it sure works good for clearance issues with all the exhaust and such in the way

1.jpg

I have Claytons as well...very nicely engineered and you still get the option of springs and such when you build, you're not stuck with anything you don't want.

dennisuello said:
Hey Eric,
Full Traction kit is a 4-link, like stock set-up. keeps the pinion at the same angle throughout the travel, unlike RE's radius arms (2-link) where the pinion follows the angle of the arm.
Another plus for RE long arm is that the frame mounts are tucked upQUOTE]

the RE kit has the adjustable upper links that run fromthe longarm to the axle so you can still keep the pinion at the same angle. The FT. is more like the RE drop brackets. your just lowering the connection points of the control arms and you would need to have adjustable arms or it aswell will change your pinion angle.

I was really wanting to go to a longarm kit and 34s soon, but I'm planning on just holding out tell the RE kit comes out and they pinpoint any problems they may have. I'm going to focuse on more skid protection and bumpers for now.

As far as the pinion angle, he was referring to the angle as the suspension cycles. With a radius arm design (RE), the pinion angle changes as the suspension cycles, but that's not a big deal. With the Full Traction kit, it's not like drop brackets because the body brackets don't hang down any lower than stock, it just moves the brackets back so you get a 4-link long-arm setup with better angles on the arms than with stock short arms. The pinion angle should not change as the suspension cycles with the FT kit, but once again, that's not really an important factor.

Lets clarify this!With a Radius arm set up the castor changes but the pinion remains constant with the driveshaft.With a 4-link the pinion angle itself shouldnt change(or not much),but it does change in relationship to the driveshaft angle!

Last edited:
the drop brakets I've seen drop them down about 3"s thats kinda the whole point is to lower the angle that the control arms sit. the bigger the lift goes the more there pitched down a more level you can get them the better ride and better flex.

dennisuello said:
Hey Eric,
Full Traction kit is a 4-link, like stock set-up. keeps the pinion at the same angle throughout the travel, unlike RE's radius arms (2-link) where the pinion follows the angle of the arm. I know I wouldn't be able to run FT kit, cause the bracket will interfere with my rocker frame mounts and i'm not dirtching my ORGS rockers.
Also, Clayton makes a long-arm upgrade kit. Another plus for RE long arm is that the frame mounts are tucked up, whereas Clayton's hang below the frame rail.
Stay away from Tera (if the still make it) and Tomken kits, as they are not trully long arm. Rusty's makes a long arm kit, but you will find many people dissatisfied with products and service from him.

what is it that makes tera's and tomken's kits untrue long arms?

They only have long lowers, they still use stock uppers. I've seen kits like this work very well too though.

Back