• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Take a look under your '97 Cherokee...

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
... and tell me which wires go where on the rear oxygen sensor connector. The wire got tangled in the rear DS CV joint and all of the wires got pulled out of the plastic connector.

On the vehicle side of the wire harness I have the following wire colors:
  • dark brown/yellow
  • light brown/black
  • green/white
  • black
The oxygen sensor has these color wires:
  • white
  • white
  • black
  • grey
Which wire goes where? Again, this is the rear oxygen sensor, the one in the catalytic converter.

Thanks for helping me get rid of my check engine light. :)

See if this helps....

dos.JPG

Rev

Rev- I have the same wire diagram, I need to know which wires on the sensor side of the wire harness match up with which ones on the computer side and the book doesn't show those colors. :( The connector is all FUBARed and I have to make my own.

Remi, if you can have a look I would really appreciate it. :)

Handlebars said:
Rev- I have the same wire diagram, I need to know which wires on the sensor side of the wire harness match up with which ones on the computer side and the book doesn't show those colors. :( The connector is all FUBARed and I have to make my own.

Remi, if you can have a look I would really appreciate it. :)

Gimme about 8 hours :D I gotta get home from work, and give it a wee bit time to cool (I hugged that exhaust with my arm once a year ago... and it wasn't pretty :()

Handlebars said:
... and tell me which wires go where on the rear oxygen sensor connector. The wire got tangled in the rear DS CV joint and all of the wires got pulled out of the plastic connector.

Thanks for helping me get rid of my check engine light. :)

I just got a new digi cam...
I'll see if i can get under there and snap a pic for ya.
Hopefully the snow/rain washed the mud off..lol.

OK... here it goes:

dark brown/yellow -> grey
light brown/black -> black
green/white -> white
black -> white

I hope that the white's are interchangeable as they don't have any marks on them that would make them unique....

My FSM for my 2000 shows both whites tied together at the sensor. One goes to the Radiator Fan Relay and the other goes to the other O2 sensor. I would guess that there is not much of a difference. Do you live in a state that requires smog checks?

Kenny
1987 & 2000 XJ's

Thanks, Remi. I have the wires hooked up the same way as yours, I'll have to do some voltage checks. Now I'm thinking one of the wires has an open circuit, I really don't think the sensor could be bad. I really want to fix this, yes we have biennial smog inspections here in New Mexico and I want the check engine light to function properly to tell me if something important goes bad.

Handlebars said:
Thanks, Remi. I have the wires hooked up the same way as yours, I'll have to do some voltage checks. Now I'm thinking one of the wires has an open circuit, I really don't think the sensor could be bad. I really want to fix this, yes we have biennial smog inspections here in New Mexico and I want the check engine light to function properly to tell me if something important goes bad.

Potentially when the wires got tangled and pulled, could they have gotten pulled at the sensor from within the sensor?? how about the other end? could there be potentially a wire broken within and pulled?? How badly did they get tangled in the joint and how much of them got pulled in/out?

Back