• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA Q's

DjXj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I'm thinking about doing OBA to my XJ and have some questions. Now I've researched it some and see it done mostly with york compressors. However i've also seen it done with just the stock air compressor. Now my XJ's Air Conditioning. never worked, I believe its the accumulator and therefore I don't care about having Air Cond. Is the stock Air Compressor powerful enough to run air tools if I hook it up to a tank. And how would one test the stock AC to see if it still runs.

DjXj said:
Hey, I'm thinking about doing OBA to my XJ and have some questions. Now I've researched it some and see it done mostly with york compressors. However i've also seen it done with just the stock air compressor. Now my XJ's Air Conditioning. never worked, I believe its the accumulator and therefore I don't care about having Air Cond. Is the stock Air Compressor powerful enough to run air tools if I hook it up to a tank. And how would one test the stock AC to see if it still runs.

Apply 12v to the wire going into the the compressor either while the motor is off (a sharp click is the clutch engaging) and while the motor is running - you should hear a pumping noise as the compressor builds pressure...

These things can easily produce 250 - 300 psi if left un-regulated so get an auto switch and some form of oiler and you should be all set to run most any air tool you want... Mine keeps pace with a nice IR2131 impact with no issues but if I am using the cut-off wheel in the die grinder I have to take some breaks to let the compressor catch up - a decent sized tank will help but these little sandens do pretty well on their own....

Matt

PS - I also run my system at 175 psi... :rof:

Fittings for your air connections can be found at www.fittingsandadapters.com . I got most of my misc. stuff from a mini-truck shop around the corner, they've got good prices on pressure switches, tanks, solenoids & etc.

To make routing your airlines easier use 3/8" (or 1/4") DOT tubing, it's used on semi trucks for airbrakes & certified goodstuff my the DOT. It's easy to route & connect to DOT fittings, resists heat and is easy to fix if you cut it.

I've got a York and I can't really run airtools with it because of a lack of CFM, I have used it with my plasma cutter & impact wrench but those aren't super high CFM appliances. I like being able to fill a 38.5" x 14.5 Swamper from 6psi to 28psi in about 1 minute though. :)

Back