• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 4.0 to replace '87 4.0..?

An '87 and a '90 4.0 will swap easily with no modifications. The big change was in '91.

Physically they will bolt right in but the computer and wiring harness were changed when the HO engine was introduced so you need to transplant the entire package and mate it up to the existing chasis.

tlman said:
Physically they will bolt right in but the computer and wiring harness were changed when the HO engine was introduced so you need to transplant the entire package and mate it up to the existing chasis.

Not entirely true...I swapped in a 96HO XJ motor into a YJ using an 87 XJ Harness. I used the HO intake manifold and had a machine shop mill me an aluminum throttle body adapter so I can use the 87 throttle body on the 96 intake.

Chris

I agree that you can go that way too but you may have trouble getting it through a smog check if you reverse engineer the engine management system.

Well... I found a 1990 with 150K for almost nothing. My 1987 runs fine with less than 150K. I figured I could rebuild the 1990 4.0 for a few years, then toss her in when she's ready. You know, take my time.. Do it right.

I am still considering it.

Well.. I do have some nasty sounds coming from inside there.. Sounds like wasted lifter(s).. Not to mention some substantial blow-by, despite vacuum line changes, etc. And a few oil leaks.

I appreciate your zeal, but I haven't the same confidence as y'all..

It would be a long term project, anyhow..

Back