• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Gear

PaulJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there an aftermarket source for speedometer gears? The dealer tells me that they are discontinued for my '89.

Try A different stealership...
I tried 2 and they said no go.

The third one magically said 27 - 41 teeth it'd take 3 days to get it.

not much help to you because I'm in Virginia.

I got mine from a speedo calibration shop.

PaulJ said:
The dealer tells me that they are discontinued for my '89.
I went to three different dealers for my '87 and all said that for a 44 tooth gear, it was discontinued. I was, however able to get a 39 or 40 (trying out several different tire sizes). So I guess it depends on how many teeth gear you need.

A 44 tooth? What gears and tires?

ChiXJeff said:
A 44 tooth? What gears and tires?
4.88's and 31's (I'm currently using my old winter snow tires - 235/75R15's). FWIW, 4.88's and 31's are great - I'm going to regret putting on my 35's this spring. And this is with a standard tranny that came with 3.07's (almost 60% increase in gearing with the 4.88's). For the life of me, I can't figure out why people spend good money to go to 4.10's.

red87cherokee said:
4.88's and 31's (I'm currently using my old winter snow tires - 235/75R15's). FWIW, 4.88's and 31's are great - I'm going to regret putting on my 35's this spring. And this is with a standard tranny that came with 3.07's (almost 60% increase in gearing with the 4.88's). For the life of me, I can't figure out why people spend good money to go to 4.10's.

I can tell you why........ mine is a daily driver. I spent 3 years on 31x10.50s with 4.10s behind a 5spd. I put 33x12.50s on in September, and I'm regearing next week to 4.56s now (37 tooth speedo.) And before anyone says it, I have a Chrysler 8.25 rear end.

If this wasn't a daily driver, I'd be all over deeper gears.

Back