• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why does everyone recommend RE???

budha808

NAXJA Forum User
I just spent the weekend installing a RE 3.5 sf kit. I picked out this kit from reading this forum and talking to everyone I could.I currently have not tested the result of my lift as I am waiting for shocks but I can tell you this, most of the Christmas toys I assembled this year had better instructions. I cannot believe after spending over $600 (with adj track bar and extended shacks) that I got 3 pieces of note paper, single sided as instructions. The track bar instructions do not even talk about how to assemble the heim joint end you are just suppose to 'know'. You are also just suppose to guess which direction the shackles are suppose to go in.

Granted I am a shade-tree mechanic but come on for $600 and with there reputation I was expecting a 9 page color instuction manual with photos of nearly every nut and bolt. When I called RE 'Mike' told me the instructions I have are the updated ones and everyone has been very happy with them...well I guess I am just expecting to much but you would think RE would take some of that money they are making and invest in a &*%$ digital camera and photo printer.

They assume (correctly or incorrectly) you know where everything goes.

Everything go on ok?

When you look at the shackle and hold it in place you see that the cutout is for slearance on the little subframe box...

When you step back and look at it it is sometimes more simple. A different perspective if you will...

And just be happy you didn't buy a kit from Rusty's...you want bad instructions, Those take the cake LOL!!

In the end (I think) everything went on correctly. Thats my problem, without good instructions I don't know if everything in correct and I hate that 'try it out and see' method.

So this seems to be a problem with 4x4 venders, they do not feel that proper instructions are ness. and I am guessing most of there customers are to macho to complain.

Heh, I was one of the unfortunat souls that bought teh Rusty's Kit and me not haveing even changed oil into the vehicle was vary much dissapointed in the instructions. They seem to assume you are extremely fimiliar with the suspension and machanically inclined :)

-Joe

budha808 said:
In the end (I think) everything went on correctly. Thats my problem, without good instructions I don't know if everything in correct and I hate that 'try it out and see' method.

So this seems to be a problem with 4x4 venders, they do not feel that proper instructions are ness. and I am guessing most of there customers are to macho to complain.

Yes and No...mostly I think they beleive they are selling to either a shop that willdo the install or to an individual who is qualified to deal with it, know what I mean?

Luckily, URF doesn't send instructions.

We send a case of BudLight.

CRASH

You should feel lucky that the RE stuff bolts on.......URF gear requires welding, grinding, pounding and verbal assaults........not sure why streaking is sometimes involved, must be relative to the beer..... :)

RE is recommended for their quality of product, not their quality of instructions. That what these forums are for. Take pictures of everything, post them up here, and we'll tell you if you made any major booboos.

Below are the instructions i got with my Rusty's stuff:

:dunno:

utahxjer said:
There is only one way the shackles can go on!

Yes, as far as top and bottom....

No, if he's got dogleg shackles. It IS possible to put them on backwards.

RE doesnt have a Boomerang shackle.The two small notches are to help clear the bumper bolts,the notches go to the rear(towards bumper).

if you cant install a lift on your jeep without feeling like you did something wrong, then you should have a shop do it or have somebody who is experienced enough to know whats going on help you.

Maybe some of you have missed the point, I figured out which way the shackles go in and how the heim joint parts fit together...BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO FIGURE THAT STUFF OUT!!! The shackles could certainly go in the other direction, in fact if you look at the access to the zerk the 'wrong' direction makes more sense.

This is a kit, a system which is meant to work together, the point is to take the guess work out of the lift. RE has left me with guess work on at least 3 items.... way to much for me.

I am starting to understand how thing got this way, the customers do not require good instruction from the venders

Almost all my stuff is from Rusty's and your right, no instructions. The one question I did have, I called and got the answere right away. I have installed the RE kit on other peoples XJ's and the instructions aren't that much better. Fortunately, I know how the stuff is supposed to go on from reading alot of installs, looking under other peoples lifted XJ's for ideas, and being mechanically inclined helped. I probably would've asked for help installing it from somebody who has done it instead of relying totally on the instructions. I guess the lift manufacturers figure if your buying it, you already know how to do it. I've helped people myself for beer and pizza. After all, aren't Jeepers supposed to help each other out?

budha808 said:
I am starting to understand how thing got this way, the customers do not require good instruction from the venders

First off, good job you bought the right brand. Now you won't have to waste money and then go to a better lift like RE. Sorry you had 3 problems. Aren't you stoked about your jeep? This is what jeepin is all about, WORKING ON IT. What if it breaks down, don't you want to know how to fix it? The best way to learn is to just do it. Now let's go wheelin. :guitar:

budha808 said:
Maybe some of you have missed the point, I figured out which way the shackles go in and how the heim joint parts fit together...BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO FIGURE THAT STUFF OUT!!! The shackles could certainly go in the other direction, in fact if you look at the access to the zerk the 'wrong' direction makes more sense.

This is a kit, a system which is meant to work together, the point is to take the guess work out of the lift. RE has left me with guess work on at least 3 items.... way to much for me.

If the point is to complain about RE and not ask for advice, then next time try the Non Tech-Off Topic forum to vent.

Or you could go to Rusty's web site and look to see if he has a write up on what you are installing, he has 17 write-ups of his stuff, and has pretty color pictures.... Imagine that maaawwwww....

Alex

Back