• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing my gears one question

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I am ready to go got all my gears install kits going open front and truetrac in the rear. I remember reading somewhere about getting some set up bearings I think the guy made them out of old bearings but cant remember you use them to get the shims right then you press on the new bearings after everything is set. Anyone have anyidea what the hell I am talking about?
DIG IT!

BUCKYXJ said:
Alright I am ready to go got all my gears install kits going open front and truetrac in the rear. I remember reading somewhere about getting some set up bearings I think the guy made them out of old bearings but cant remember you use them to get the shims right then you press on the new bearings after everything is set. Anyone have anyidea what the hell I am talking about?
DIG IT!
I did this on mine. Took my old bearings and with a dremel honed them out enough for them to side on and off the carrier or pinion. I did have a problem with this though. I didn't measure the old bearing compared to the new ones and when I put the new bearings on the blacklash was loose. So then I had to remove one of the new carrier bearings to get the correct shimming. you may have better luck than me, I do know the old bearings were KOYO and the new ones were Timken.

Back