• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

40 spline 60s!

OT

NAXJA Forum User
OMG have you seen the 40 spline D60 shafts in the new 4WAOR? 1.82" thick! They claim 40% stronger than 35 spliners. How much would that be over the 30 spliners? 80%? And with the Detroit to match. Wonder when they'll make the new 40 spline 8.25?

40 spline 8.25.........that's a good one! :laugh2: :laugh2:

BTW, to keep the figures accurate, the 40 spline shafts are 1.71" diameter. They are 47% stronger than 35 spline shafts and 231% stronger than 30 spline shafts.

Goatman said:
40 spline 8.25.........that's a good one! :laugh2: :laugh2:

BTW, to keep the figures accurate, the 40 spline shafts are 1.71" diameter. They are 47% stronger than 35 spline shafts and 231% stronger than 30 spline shafts.
My bad. It's actually the Detroits that have a 1.82 bearing journal opening.

Well, you couldn't do it with an OEM Dana spindle, that's fer darned sure.

CRASH

REDXJ4FUN said:
At that point why bother with full floater just use 9in big bearing ends and do a semifloater

At what point do you run out of room on a BB Ford end? I'm betting 1 3/4" is getting over the limit.

CRASH

CRASH said:
At what point do you run out of room on a BB Ford end? I'm betting 1 3/4" is getting over the limit.

CRASH

40 spline, 1.71"-1.72" is what I run.
OEM 1980, BB F-150, 9 inch housing.

C-ROK said:
40 spline, 1.71"-1.72" is what I run.
OEM 1980, BB F-150, 9 inch housing.

Greg,

What bearings you running in them? Set 20s only open up to 1.5". Does someone specially make a bearing for this, or did you just go shopping in a Timken catalog?

Willis said:
Greg,

What bearings you running in them? Set 20s only open up to 1.5". Does someone specially make a bearing for this, or did you just go shopping in a Timken catalog?
The only shopping I did was calling Currie and ordering the set of axles and bearings. :)

They're true roller bearings, not tapered. It's going back a few years but I believe they were "Green Racing Bearings".

There's several people making 40 spline shafts for 9 inches and as far as I know, they all sell bearings too. When I got mine I contacted Moser, Strange and Currie and all of them would deliver shafts, bearings and retainer rings as a set.
I had to press them on but that was it.

C-ROK said:
The only shopping I did was calling Currie and ordering the set of axles and bearings. :)

They're true roller bearings, not tapered. It's going back a few years but I believe they were "Green Racing Bearings".

There's several people making 40 spline shafts for 9 inches and as far as I know, they all sell bearings too. When I got mine I contacted Moser, Strange and Currie and all of them would deliver shafts, bearings and retainer rings as a set.
I had to press them on but that was it.

Cool.

I was thinking of Set20's. Good to know there are other options.

CRASH

Back