• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'little' confused about power mirrors.

BrianG

NAXJA Forum User
I have some 97+ power mirrors I am trying to wire into my 88. I started by hooking up a multi meter to the switch, in order to ID the wires.

I thought it was going to be a basic wiring job....

I found what I think is the 12v+ to the switch (although it is black..) When I tested the wires coming off, when I put the switch on L or R, depending on the wire I would get a complete circuit, until I pushed the switch in the correct direction, which would break the circuit. Doesnt this sound backwards?

Has anyone done a power mirror upgrade? I dont really know where to go from here, other than hooking the mirrors up to some power...

Not sure this will help(from '91)....

switch.......color..........function
A.............YL..............L-UP(A)
B.............DB..............L-LEFT(B)
C.............WT/BK........R-LEFT(B)
D.............YL/LG.........R-UP(A)
E.............DB/LB.........COMMON FOR MOTORS(C)
F.............BK.............GROUND
G.............BR/WT........+12V(FUSE PANEL)

I think this wiring is totally different. I found a similar list in another thread, which is correct, except the switch seems to be working in reverse. Unless this is how it is supposed to work...although that just makes it more confusing!

BrianG said:
I have some 97+ power mirrors I am trying to wire into my 88. I started by hooking up a multi meter to the switch, in order to ID the wires.

I thought it was going to be a basic wiring job....

I found what I think is the 12v+ to the switch (although it is black..) When I tested the wires coming off, when I put the switch on L or R, depending on the wire I would get a complete circuit, until I pushed the switch in the correct direction, which would break the circuit. Doesnt this sound backwards?

Has anyone done a power mirror upgrade? I dont really know where to go from here, other than hooking the mirrors up to some power...

Ive done it but to my recollection the wire colors were the same as my 92, the difference was the heating wires, since prior to the new style mirrors this was not an option.

XJguy

alright thanks.

my main problem right now is the switch...I dont understand why it seems to work backwards.

also, on the mirrors, there is 4 wires, to move the mirror in one direction, do I just need to apply 12v+ to one wire, or do I need a ground too?

BrianG said:
alright thanks.

my main problem right now is the switch...I dont understand why it seems to work backwards.

also, on the mirrors, there is 4 wires, to move the mirror in one direction, do I just need to apply 12v+ to one wire, or do I need a ground too?

The switch wouldn't happen to be upside down, would it? The flip switch for left and right should be at the bottom.
Just a thought..

The '91 FSM shows the 2 motors for each side having a common connection(C). The motors are wired such that the four wires are taken to a 3-pin connector.

All motor connections go directly to the switch. None go directly to a power connection.

If the switch is not reversed, then something else is reversed. Motor connections?

alright I tested the mirror with some 12v power, there are 4 wires going to the mirror itself. when I hook two of them up (+ and -), the glass moves, then i reverse the polarity, and it moves the other way. somewhat simple enough...I just have no clue how to get it to work with the switch!

For each pair of motors, connect the negs (-?) together, that becomes your (C) terminal for the motors. The 2 remaining wires become (A) and (B).

Using the chart above....

switch.......color..........function(to motors)
A.............YL..............L-UP(A)
B.............DB..............L-LEFT(B)
E.............DB/LB.........COMMON FOR MOTORS(C)

C.............WT/BK........R-LEFT(B)
D.............YL/LG.........R-UP(A)
E.............DB/LB(LG?).........COMMON FOR MOTORS(C)

I think I may have figured it out..

the black wire on the switch IS the neg. there was another wire I didnt see that is the 12v+, which makes everything else work normally. I think I got it now..

Back