• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep (to me), new lift, new tires!!!!!!

Your Jeep looks sweet. I'm looking at installing about the same size lift and running 31 x 10.5 on my stock wheels. If you don't mind me asking, did you have a shop do this work? Where should I start shopping around for the lift install? I'm not sure what I'm looking at cost wise for a lift and what all is involved so any info you could share would be much appreciated. Thanks-
'98 4.0L 5spd

"Your Jeep looks sweet. I'm looking at installing about the same size lift and running 31 x 10.5 on my stock wheels. If you don't mind me asking, did you have a shop do this work? Where should I start shopping around for the lift install? I'm not sure what I'm looking at cost wise for a lift and what all is involved so any info you could share would be much appreciated. Thanks-
'98 4.0L 5spd"

Appreciate the comments. No me and a friend did it in his shop over a two day period. One thing i will say if you decide to install it yourself. buy yourself two cans of PBBlaster and soak everything for a week before the install. that stuff is like gremlin repellent. made my life a hell of alot easier. If you have any experience with mechanical work this install is really not that bad. just make sure you have a friend or two for some of the grunt work.

flexing.jpg

"What's your early impression on the Firestones? Highway noise? Ride? What pressure are you running?"

I really like them. the higway noise is very minimal. two things i really like about them is that (one) they are the first M/T that uses that UNI-T technology for better handling and braking in the rain, and they put a good amount of tread on the sidewall for when you deflate. that way when your tire compress you get traction from the sidewalls. right now there at 32 psi i think. overall great tires and cheaper then the BFG's

KTJ said:
Your Jeep looks sweet. I'm looking at installing about the same size lift and running 31 x 10.5 on my stock wheels. If you don't mind me asking, did you have a shop do this work? Where should I start shopping around for the lift install? I'm not sure what I'm looking at cost wise for a lift and what all is involved so any info you could share would be much appreciated. Thanks-
'98 4.0L 5spd

I just had the same lift done at a local 4Wheel Parts (http://www.4wheelparts.com/ ) and they did a pretty decent job. The cost was steep compared to doing it yourself. I paid about $580 for the lift kit (I got full leafs), shocks were $125 (Rancho's) T-Case lower and alignment was free b/c they misordered the part and delayed the install by a day (good customer service!). Labor for the rest was $400 or so. Total was around $1200 with tax and misc parts.

Remember though that you may not be done there. The RE lift gives you more than 3.5" generally, so you may have to add:
1) track bar ($150-250) - you may not be able to relocate the stock bar far enough over on the stock mounting plate.
2) Slip Yoke ($200)
3) Front and/or rear driveshafts ($250 each).

If you can't do the install of these yourself, the labor may be another two or three hundred, but I don't have a good estimate of that. The installs of the track bar and the driveshafts are pretty straightforward (at least I've read that they are ;) ) So when you add it all up, it can be pretty pricey - welcome to the world of Jeeps!

good luck

Back