• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sway bar trouble

ReBeL XJ

NAXJA Forum User
since we put my RC 3in lift on i have had to remove the sway bars. one of the front ones was rubbing on the spring and the rear was digging into my inner tire wall. so i took the fronts off and the entire rear off. would JKS discos fix this or do i need to trim the rear sway bar a bit? right now im driving it without em and i live on country back roads. it takes alot longer to get places now. what do you suggest? any one else with the RC 3in have this problem?

Most of us have thrown the rear sway bar out completely. The Up Country models never came with them. If you customarily run heavy loads, then keeping it may be a consideration.

You're still using your original links in front? I suspect that's your problem. They're pulling the end of the bar down, and the end is hitting your springs. JKS discos would be my choice, but there are alternatives, including building your own or cutting the originals in half and adding a couple of inches.

I can't find it but I saw a site where a guy added a barrel nut to the top of his swaybar link, put the washers/bushings on it and then ran a bolt down into the barrel nut from the top. Cheap and easy way to get the extra length you need.
Someone knows the site I'm talking about, perhaps they'll post it.

Did you relocate the track bar or get an adjustable one? - your OEM track bar will pull the axle to one side allowing the front sway bar to hit the spring - as for the rear - the only reason I can think of is a tire that is too wide on the deeply backspaced OEM jeep rims...

Disconnects wil not solve the front problem if you axle is shifted due to the lack of extra length in the track bar...

Matt

Matt said:
Did you relocate the track bar or get an adjustable one? - your OEM track bar will pull the axle to one side allowing the front sway bar to hit the spring - as for the rear - the only reason I can think of is a tire that is too wide on the deeply backspaced OEM jeep rims...

Disconnects wil not solve the front problem if you axle is shifted due to the lack of extra length in the track bar...

Matt

nope didnt do that. maybe thats why it pulls to the left? who makes a good adj track bar?

asatxj said:
I can't find it but I saw a site where a guy added a barrel nut to the top of his swaybar link, put the washers/bushings on it and then ran a bolt down into the barrel nut from the top. Cheap and easy way to get the extra length you need.
Someone knows the site I'm talking about, perhaps they'll post it.

Whoa! Excellent! Simple & yet will also extend them & make them into quick disconnects... CHEAP! CHEAAAAAP! In the final bits of a Dakota / F150 lift on my son's XJ & that will save him some coin. Those barrel nuts are also called 'coupler nuts' or 'union nuts' in case the counter guy give you a blank stare...

Another Freakin' Jeep Cherokee Website I'll have it up tomorrow with my son's lift pics on my site.

Back