• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

213k..must be time for something

jp2k487

NAXJA Forum User
my 93 4.0L I6 has about 213k miles on it. the tranny has about 75k, i put a new radiator and water pump and belt on it not too long ago, and a new alternator. my question is, what else should be done to it to keep it running good for another 10k? are these easy spark plug changing type things, or do i need to do an engine overhaul? i dont want to get rid of my baby, but if she's getting to the point where theres just too many miles on her, i guess i might have to. please help

mine has 323K on the engine and tranny...

never a problem if ya just change the oil and replace sensors when they fail.

every once and a while I get a nasty lifter tick, I do 5qts oil + 1qt ATF with an oil change and the tick goes away every time.

it's a simple diagnosis, if it doesn't burn oil, consume coolant or have low compression, it's still good ;)

CheapXJ said:
every once and a while I get a nasty lifter tick, I do 5qts oil + 1qt ATF with an oil change and the tick goes away every time.
;)

do you mix those together? :scared:

anyways. mine has 210k. i have a new engine sitting in my garage that i am waiting to swap out.

I was curious about the mixing of the ATF and oil. Do you mix the ATF before you change the oil or just run it with the fresh oil? I have read that it swells the seals and also the detergent will clean everything. Thanks...DuG

how can i tell if theres low compression????
im fairly well trained at fixing things, but im no mechanic

You get a compression gauge. Pull the coil wire so the engine wont start, then pull a spark plug, screww in the gauge intot eh spark plug hole and have somebody turn the engine over a few times. Try that with each cylinder.

I am interested in the ATF trick. Do you mix the ATF and run it the full 3000miles or just a while and drain it out?

I don't really mix it per se, I just dump in 5 qts of oil and a qt of ATF

I run the atf for however long it is till I change the oil again (it's not a daily driver anymore, so sometimes I change it because of taking on water, etc)

and yeah, at 323K miles, my rear main (which has never been touched AFAIK) just drips a little every once and a while.

basically, I'll take it out on a wheelin run and by the end of the day, the tick will be gone.

honestly, I really hate to tear into this particular 4.0L. I've driven quite a few 4.0s, and I don't know what it is with this one, but it always had, and still does have more spunk than ANY other 4.0L I've EVER driven.

before I lifted/beat it up, it ran a 15.8sec 1/4 mile on 225/70s completely stock (no intake/exhaust mods)

Back