• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 X-fer Case position switch

Aloha365

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 XJ that came with the 242 x-fer case stock. I swapped in a JB Conversions 231HD x-fer case. The stock 242 x-fer case position switch has an electronic hookup and the 231 x-fer case from JB conversions is vacuum actuated position switch. I went to the dealership and asked if I could buy the electronic position switch that came in 1999 XJ's equiped with the 231 x-fer case. They said the 231 x-fer case's only came with vacuum position switches. This makes me think that there is a vacuum to electronic converter somewhere on 1999 231 x-fer case equiped XJ's. I can not imagine that Jeep made 2 seperate wiring harnesses depending on wich x-fer case was installed. When talking to JB Conversions it seems that this is a pretty popular swap (242 for 231HD). Someone else must have had the same situation come up. I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Greg Gebert

You need to go back,my 2000 is an electric switch(NP231)!

They haven't had vacume switches since they got rid of the axle disconnect. The 231 has a electric switch and should be available from the dealer. I'm just not sure what year the change in connecters was. The 97-01 models will have a newer style connecter to the switch than the prior years. Should be able to just cut and splice but I'm not sure on that.

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
They haven't had vacume switches since they got rid of the axle disconnect. The 231 has a electric switch and should be available from the dealer. I'm just not sure what year the change in connecters was. The 97-01 models will have a newer style connecter to the switch than the prior years. Should be able to just cut and splice but I'm not sure on that.

mark

Thank you for the information, I forgot about the vacuum disconnect in the axle back in the day.

Back