• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regear question: new or used gears?

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
This is one of those questions where I already have a pretty good idea of the answer, but input from more experienced folks is welcomed.

I am about to regear my front axle, already picked the rear from a reputable person, and being Scottish, I dont want to pay a bunch. However, I dont want to pay again, so I want to do it right the first time. Sooooo, here is the question:

Used gears, yes or no?

Thanks for the help.

Fergie

Nothing wrong with good used gears. Every vehicle on the road is running used gears. Proper gear setup is the key.

Check the gears if possable and look at the pattern. If the used set was set up properly when new, you should have no problem using them in yours. I have a set of used gears in my front axle. My front axle is sitting in the shop floor though so I dont know how well they really work:)

Again its all in the set up.

Good Luck,

AARON

Ask Safari Ary

What's the price diff gonna end up being? $50-75 per axle?? For that I'd spring for new gears, in the long run you'll thank yourself. I went with used gears for my 8.25 'cause they were $100 as opposed to the new ones that were $200. Now I'm building a D60 to replace the entire 8.25 'cause the damn thing howls like no other. The guy I bought them from warned me that they produced a slight howl in his axle, but this is no slight howl. What I'm saying is, you're rolling the dice as to whether or not the gears are in good shape or not. Just my humble opinion.

Ary

Edit: Damn RJ, you stalkin me or something?? :confused: BTW guys, whatcha think of the new handle "Safari Ary"? Rolls off the tongue don't it?

Well, I bought the rear axle from BillR, so I don't think there are any probs with that...he wouldnt have sold it to me if there was a problem.

It would only be gears for the front. I am also thinking about getting a TrueTrac at the same time as I regear, I just want to know if I should chance the used gears and be cheap, or do it right the first time.

Will there be any problem with the broke in rear gears, and the non-broke in front gears? What does the brake in period require?

Thanks
Fergie

The two axles are completely independent of eachother in that regard. The break in period varies by opinion, I figured that since the gears I bought only had 5k miles on them they'd still have some "break-in" left in them, unfortunately that wasn't the case. I really would suggest getting new gears if the axle will be turning all the time(if you had hubs for example, and the front gears only turned on the trail, then I would suggest used gears 'cause you only use them when 'wheelin).

Ary

Ary'01XJ said:
I went with used gears for my 8.25....

Ary, I think your problem lies with what you just said. Its a 8.25. At least you got beef now:D Hows the shaving of the 60 going?

A Dana axle with used Dana gears that are in good condition and set up properly should be just fine. I asked around a few months ago when I regeared my front axle and good used gears where just fine.

AARON

I've used both through the various stages of my build. New are nice if you plan to stay with that configuration. I knew I was going to go FROM 4.11 to either 4.56 or 4.88 and got used 4.11 gears. The used ones will ALWAYS be a little noisier than the new gears. That said, you learn A LOT about setting up a diff with an experienced installer and a set of used gears.

I plan on staying with the 4.10s for as long as I can. That means that unless I wreck the XJ, 4.10s will all I will be putting in. I think that I am going to spend the money on the new gears, and not worry about it. Peace of mind is always worth something.

Thanks for the replies.

Fergie

FWIW, I installed a set of used gears in my front axle. The were set-up properly and work fine.
It IS luck of the draw, though. Gears are available on-line for around $125. Mine were $60. I got lucky, and I'd probably go with new next time. I DID install new when I built the D44 rear.

I went through a set of 4.56 and 4.88 gears that were all used. I ended up paying around $50 per gear set. I saved a couple hundred in the long run. I think it all depends on proper gear set up.

Back