• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Clutch wiring: trying to locate + wire

XJ Saga

NAXJA Forum User
I only see two wires going into the clutch; one all black and one black with a white tracer and of course ground. Haynes does'nt specify as far as I can tell, can anyone help me locate the positive wire? I appreciate in advance.

This is a Sanden clutch? Take the BK/WH wire & add 12V, then ground the BK wire & see if it engages.

vintagespeed said:
This is a Sanden clutch? Take the BK/WH wire & add 12V, then ground the BK wire & see if it engages.

Correct, it's a Sanden on a 2001 XJ. Making sure I hit the right wire for a flexalite 110 install. I'll use the bk/wh wire and see if it runs, thanks much.

Two wires? My Sanden clutch only had one wire. In the middle, however, between the connection to the wiring harness a ground wire went from the Sanden housing to the 'hot' wire to the clutch. This wire from the housing has a resistor on it before it is spliced into the 'hot' wire. Thus it is a single wire from the AC selection on the dash board all the way to the Sanden clutch.

XJ Saga said:
I only see two wires going into the clutch; one all black and one black with a white tracer and of course ground. Haynes does'nt specify as far as I can tell, can anyone help me locate the positive wire? I appreciate in advance.

You could also just apply 12v to both wires (one at a time) and you can hear the clutch click on and off - with mine (1991 sanden) there was only one wire and it grounds through the compressor itself

I have seen older ones that have two wire that are spliced just before entering the clutch...

It takes a very small amount of current to actuate the clutch...

Matt

update: I traced the bk/wh wire behind the clutch and then behind the compressor and I noticed it ended into a connector; that then turned into a blue wire w/black tracer, this is the positive (or 12v power)I was looking for. Flexalite works like a charm, and a lot more powerful than I envisioned it. Appreciate the advice given :cool:

Back