• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Gains

ReBeL XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have purchased an engine from a 90 model. It will be swapped into my 89. I want to know what upgrades i can do to gain some torque. I already have Bocsh(spelling) Platinum 4 plugs, Jacobs Off Road ignition,FIPK, 2.5in exhaust piping to a 3in hi flow cat and flowmaster. what else can i do to gain some torque(without porting) and better gas mileage?

Your best bet would be an RV-type cam. And I think the mods you've done so far would really compliment the cam. Plus, the cam would probably give you more gain than any one of your other mods. Do a search, there's a ton of discussion on that subject, Good Luck!

ya ive been reading other threads and they all talk about doin porting. what is an RV-type cam?

ReBeL XJ said:
I have purchased an engine from a 90 model. It will be swapped into my 89. I want to know what upgrades i can do to gain some torque. I already have Bocsh(spelling) Platinum 4 plugs, Jacobs Off Road ignition,FIPK, 2.5in exhaust piping to a 3in hi flow cat and flowmaster. what else can i do to gain some torque(without porting) and better gas mileage?

You can copy a lot of the mods that I've done to my 4.0. Take a look around my website for ideas. The only differences in your case will be:

1. Mopar Performance computer (if you can still find one and that ain't cheap).
2. You can get a bored HO TB and fit it to your intake manifold using Joe Attardo's adapter plate. There's more info. about that on the "intakes" page of my website.
3. Your non-HO head doesn't flow as well as the HO head out of the box, but porting it will bring it close to the flow of a ported HO head so it's worth doing. You should gain at least 10hp and possibly as much as 15hp.
4. An "RV cam" has a short duration to produce more torque at low rpm. The best cam for low/medium rpm on a 4.0 is the Crane 248/260 degree cam #750501. Cost, together with lifters and springs, is about $350. Installation by a repair shop will cost over $500 because it's a minimum 8 hour job. If you do it yourself with a friend to help you, installation will only cost you a few beers and a pizza.

Modified 1992 4.0 XJ Laredo UpCountry, 170k miles, AX15, NP231, D35c rear, D30 front
Estimated 240hp@5250rpm/280lbft@3500-4000rpm
1/[email protected], race weight 3490lb

Future mods: 4.6L stroker
Webpages: Electric fan, IAT sensor relocation, Intake manifold heatshield, Oil temp. gauge install, Jeep 4.0 cam specs, Jeep engine dyno graphs, Automotive formulae, CTS resistor trick, MAP adjuster

Back