• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from right rear????????

h.curtis

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I got my d44 in and it worked out well. Also, I put disc brakes from a '96 ZJ on. The '96 have a parking break like a small drum break inside the rotor. Anyway, I have a thump, thump, thump noise that is kind of slow at any speed. This leads me to believe it is in the wheel somewhere. To slow for a driveline problem I think. I checked for a stone in the e-brake area and nothing. It is more pronounced making a heard left turn and almost disapears around a right turn. Any ideas?

Curt

Wow,thats a tuff one,A little more detailed info might be good!There are very few noises that dont increase/decrease with speed.Did you have enough chamfer/radius on the rotors so they sat square/firm on the axle flanges?The spider gears also could make a similar noise if you tires were not equal size(air pressure/wear)?

Thanks, Well the best way to discribe it is the thump thump thump, kind of lower pitched that increases and decreases with speed as you said. It seems to be loudest on the right side wheel area. I took the wheel off and the rotor and looked for a stone or anything unusual and then put it all back together and there was no noise. Then I drove it down the road for a while and it came back after making a turn. This is stange.

Curt

What do you know about the rest of the axle?Did you replace the wheel bearings when you did the disc's?How did you deal with the axle bearing preload/endplay?

RCP Phx said:
What do you know about the rest of the axle?Did you replace the wheel bearings when you did the disc's?How did you deal with the axle bearing preload/endplay?

I replaced the wheel bearings and used a Rubicon plate with that lip on it. It seemed to seal very well. The driver side has no noise. Everything is new except housing. It is all Spicer or Timken materials used.

Curt

Get a buddy to help....
Put the heep in neutral and push it from behind and get a more clearer sound and picture as to wether it is in the hub or axle.

I had to do this with mine a couple of weeks ago when a peice from the e-brake broke off and wedged itself between the shoe and drum. At first I was at a loss thinking I killed my spider gears.

Ive got the same set-up and the Rubi retainers came up about .020" shy!Also are you sure you got the axles on the right side?

Well, hope it isn't the spider gears. I will get a buddy to help tomorrow.

Rubi's came up short????? That isn't good. What did you do?? Yes I got the axles on the right side.

CUrt

problem solved. I am an idiot I guess. the ebrake cable was hitting a weight on the rim and making the noise. Cheap fix.

Thanks for the help,
Curt

Back