• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main Seal

qwickcrx

NAXJA Forum User
I HAVE A 1989 CHEROKEE WITH THE I6, 4.0 LITER ENGINE. i BELIEVE THE REAR MAIN SEAL IS LEAKING. IS IT A SPLIT SEAL THAT I CAN EASILY REPLACE? OR MUST I DROP THE CRANK TO REPLACE IT?

It is a split seal.

You might have to loosen the crank, but removal is unnecessary.

capslockkey.jpg

Have a couple extra seals on hand, just in case you mess one up, it's easy to do. There kind of a b****!!

Spray the pan bolts with PB Blaster a couple days ahead of time, too.

Thanks Guys. I Recently Pulled The Motor Myself And Had It Rebuilt Elsewhere So I'm Pretty Bummed That It Is Leaking. They Will Warranty The Work As Long As I Bring Them The Motor Uninstalled.....yeah Right Screw Pulling That Motor Out Again...

qwickcrx said:
I HAVE A 1989 CHEROKEE WITH THE I6, 4.0 LITER ENGINE. i BELIEVE THE REAR MAIN SEAL IS LEAKING. IS IT A SPLIT SEAL THAT I CAN EASILY REPLACE? OR MUST I DROP THE CRANK TO REPLACE IT?

You can replace it, easily might not be how I'd describe it. but it is a split seal.

Daryl

Back