• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff covers!

Sounds like bling-bling to me. How clear do you think they'll be after 6 months or a year of hot gear oil sloching around inside, and being bounced of rocks on the outside?

I want metal for mine, the thicker the better.

I have worked with Lexan covers on the gearboxes of newspaper printing presses and found that an application of Armor All on the inside kept the gear lube from filming over. This allowed continuous monitoring of the gearing while the units were running. I can't imagine anyone hanging under their Jeep to watch the ring and pinion turn.

One of the 4x4 rags just did a test between the various types of diff covers. Apart from the cool factor there is nothing to recommend the lexan cover. It bent pretty easily, so imagine backing into a nice boulder with one. Hello ring gear!!:D

The stock cover performed OK, and the cast cover's performed well. The fancy aluminum cover went bye bye early on.

the only one that I would ever consider (only if rest of my XJ was done and I had the extra $$) would be the "Carved"/shaped ones with skull and bones or devil and such on the cover... :) :)

Now the see through one also come with colored oils.... that's just pushing it...

Kejtar

I think I'd have it scuffed up and not clear in about 2 weeks. And I don't care how strong lexan is, it's not steel!

Coolness factor: 10+
Durability: 1
Heat transfer: 0
Worth it factor : -1

Back