• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If you live near Raleigh, Don't get scammed like I did... by DAVID O'NEAL JEEP

CamoJEEP.com

NAXJA Forum User
This past summer I spent well over $1,500 for a rear main seal and once The DAVID O'NEAL DEALER in RALEIGH said it was fixed... I left that day and was so happy to have my CAMO XJ Back but low and behold I didn't even make it back to the other side of town when a massive cloud of smoke came out from under my Jeep pissing other motorists off and putting me out of alot of money. For that amount of money I could of bought a new engine but I get ripped off by whats supposedly suppose to be a 5 star dealer but I have determined you don't wanna go there.

I want people to learn from my mistakes so that they too don't get ripped off. I can't beleive a Paid over a thousand dollars and coudn't really tell a difference in my JEEPs Performance, I mean come on.... I could of droped a whole new trans. in it or lockers... I got ripped off by DAVID O'NEAL AUTOMOTIVE GROUP OF RALEIGH, the worst part is my engine blew and I had to replace it but the main reason it blew was because the People at David O'Neal were to ignorant to fix the real problem. The other thing that sucks is they replaced the motor with a stock one because I deff. wanted a 350 short block.

DON'T LET THEM GET YOU THOUGH LIKE ME..... Please!

David O'Neal didn't Install the engine someone else did... But they were the last autherised dealers to work on my vehicle a few months before the engine blew. Now that might have a little or alot to do with it I'll let you decide...

Okay I am confused here..When you left the dealer the motor blew??? or months after that the motor blew??? By your second post the motor did not go till a few months after you had the owrk done...

Kudzu said:
Okay I am confused here..When you left the dealer the motor blew??? or months after that the motor blew??? By your second post the motor did not go till a few months after you had the owrk done...
I'm not even gonna reply, It's not like I only have a JEEP... it's just my toy... I have a real mans truck son

This past summer I spent well over $1,500 for a rear main seal and once The DAVID O'NEAL DEALER in RALEIGH said it was fixed...

The RMS, right? 1500.00 Sounds awfully expensive for just that....what else did you have done? Oil Pump? Bearings? Crank? WHAT?

I left that day and was so happy to have my CAMO XJ Back but low and behold I didn't even make it back to the other side of town when a massive cloud of smoke came out from under my Jeep pissing other motorists off and putting me out of alot of money.

What exactly happened? I've never heard of a RMS "blowing" and spewing all over. Enlighten us please.

For that amount of money I could of bought a new engine

A decent rebuild costs about that, but considering you paid 1500 for a RMS, you don't sound like you know what you're doing, so add on another 1500 for installation.

but I get ripped off by whats supposedly suppose to be a 5 star dealer but I have determined you don't wanna go there. .........

I want people to learn from my mistakes so that they too don't get ripped off.

I'm sure I speak for all who read this....thank you for the heads up.

I can't beleive a Paid over a thousand dollars and coudn't really tell a difference in my JEEPs Performance,

Replacing a RMS only does one thing....IT STOPS LEAKS! There are absolutely NO POWER GAINS from replacing a seal.

I mean come on.... I could of droped a whole new trans. in it or lockers...
Or gears, or tires....
I got ripped off by DAVID O'NEAL AUTOMOTIVE GROUP OF RALEIGH,

We got that already, thanks.

the worst part is my engine blew and I had to replace it

You, or the dealership? Who did the work? What blew?

but the main reason it blew was because the People at David O'Neal were to ignorant to fix the real problem.

What exactly was the main problem that caused it to blow? According to your second post, it was months down the road....

The other thing that sucks is they replaced the motor with a stock one because I deff. wanted a 350 short block.

Okay, this is what kills me........you get a replacement motor.....plus installation....probably for free....and you bitch because you wanted a 350 short block?

What are you gonna do with a short block....(I'm assuming that you don't know because a short block won't do shit for you)

Now if you were wanting them to do a SMALL BLOCK conversion for you, then you, Sir, are crazy. You must not know what is involved.....

BTW...

KUDZU is the Southeast Chapter President....who was trying to help you by figuring out what the problem was...considering that you have 8 whole posts...you might want to look and think before you post....

CamoJEEP.com said:
I'm not even gonna reply, It's not like I only have a JEEP... it's just my toy... I have a real mans truck son

Okay Boy and I mean boy..you just turned 21 so you better back up and watch who your gona diss around here...I have had my Jeep for 15 years and I currently own 5 XJs so when I asked you to clarify you post I believe i know what I am talking about...

As to your real mans truck...well I guess this little southern Belle doesn't know about those things...I just have an XJ with a 6.5" Long arm and 34 x 10.50 SS LTBs, D44 rear locked with 4:88s...BTW why don't you comeon out to Tellico in March with the SE chapter..Maybe if I meat you in person I will have a different opinion of you....or maybe not...We will be there either before or after St. Patricks day.

Last edited:
Kudzu said:
Okay Boy and I mean boy..you just turned 22 so you better back up and watch who your gona diss around here...I have had my Jeep for 15 years and I currently own 5 XJs so when I asked you to clarify you post I believe i know what I am talking about.

And BTW Ask around I am not a SON to anyone....

You Go Girl! .....err....I mean....Woman... :worship: :worship::worship:

...spitting out sentence fragments and lighting things on fire...
post doesnt follow to logical conclusion, if then and all that jazz...
kudzu's right...what went wrong that caused the blow up, exactly, I've gotten that crap before "oh you fixxed my rear brakes and the headlights dont work now, what did you do?" blah...

I am totally confused. What is they real story? Did this shop screw with you or not? Why did you not give any details? Why did you not post this on YOUR site? Whats with the attack on Kudzu? You are losing credibility quickly.

Rev

The Real Story With The Real Facts, Since Yall Wanted It...

Invoice Date 07/16/03

You can’t say yaw haven’t given me grief but I deserve it because I was most likely a little drunk when I posted the first article on David O’Neal Jeep Service department. I am sorry I just turned 21 and I can’t help myself and I started thinking about it and in a hasty minute I wrote about the whole incident. I know I am not an expert Jeeper, an Auto Mechanic, or a great story teller. I will get the facts straight for the first and last time so there is no more confusion… and sorry about my replies sometimes I just take it personally.

It was an ordinary day and I was riding down the road in my camo Jeep when a cloud of thick white smoke rolled out the back and into traffic behind me and I knew it wasn’t good thing. When I got out I could tell the leak was coming from the engine area and dropping pretty much straight down onto the exhaust pipe right in-front of the transmission. I just had moved to Raleigh attending summer school at NCSU and the only place I knew to take it was the local dealer. I took it there and this is what it ended up charging me…

JOB1 Description:
The transmission is leaking fluid… Leaking at transmission front pump seal. T/C & front pump seals hard. Check for leaks & removed complete transmission/transfer case assy. & remove torque converter & replace t/c seal & remove front pump plate & replace O’Ring, Test Driven for 32 miles to check for leaks…?

JOB1 O’Ring Trans.
JOB1 Seal Trans.
JOB1 Filter KI
JOB1 Fluid AUT
JOB1 Fitting T
Parts: $126.15
Labor: $498.00
JOB1 TOTAL: $632.15

Okay after these things were installed and done I was driving home and I noticed the smoke coming out the back again and it appeared to be the same place so I took it back because they just fixed it and here is what they suggested I have them do…

JOB1 Description for 2nd time:
Check the engine for oil leaks seal hard & leaking oil at bell housing area. Inspect and advise customer RMS leak present. Replace Rear Main oil Seal add new oil filter… No leak after road test.

JOB1 SEAL KIT
JOB1 SCREW OIL
JOB1 TOTAL: $419.20

JOB 3 Description:
Clean PCV system… suggested by TECH
Hose Cracked, Cleaned P.C.V. system and replace rear vent hose.

Parts:
JOB 3 Gasket OI
JOB 3 TUBE CRAN
JOB 3 TOTAL: $ 73.35

JOB 4 Description:
Replace Drive Belts… Suggested by TECH. Belt Cracked, Replace drive belt(s).
Parts:
JOB 4 JOB 4
JOB 4 TOTAL: $102.10

JOB 5 Description:
Perform Major tune up on 4.0L Jeep Engine… Suggested by Tech
JOB 5 PLUG NONE
JOB 5 CABLE PKG
JOB 5 CAP DISTR
JOB 5 ROTOR DIS
JOIB 5 TOTAL: $188.50

The Grand Total for 2nd Bill
$ 817.18

All Together I paid
GRAND TOTAL BOTH VISITS: $ 1,450.17

So I exaggerated when I said $1,500 but I was close. Well a few days after I left that the leak had seam to of found it’s way back and all the money I spent was down the drain 2 months later when the engine blew in Nov. due to a leak which might have been the same one or something completely different. My pops was with me when it happened, we were on our way to drop it off at a local mechanic in Kinston while on the way the radiator blew which casued the engine to go, so we took it to one of his mechanic buddies pulling it behind my pick-up by the winch cable 2 hrs. away to fix and the man told my dad it needed a new engine because it would be easier than fixing the engine. But before I got the chance to tell my dads mechanic I wanted a 350 engine he had already gotten the new engine in. I know I would have had to do a lot of mods. But it would have been well worth it. So now I’m stuck with another used Cherokee engine, as of now I’m thinking of adding a super charger so yaw can make all the comments you want I will see you on the trail when I’m TRAILREADY before to long! The point is I spent a lot of money for a leak that was never fixed and that’s why I wanted other Jeepers to Beware! I could of done a lot with $1,500…. Thanks David O’Neal! Thank the lord my JEEP is not my only 4x4...!

Re: The Real Story With The Real Facts, Since Yall Wanted It...

CamoJEEP.com said:
Well a few days after I left that the leak had seam to of found it’s way back and all the money I spent was down the drain 2 months later when the engine blew in Nov. due to a leak which might have been the same one or something completely different. My pops was with me when it happened, we were on our way to drop it off at a local mechanic in Kinston while on the way the radiator blew which casued the engine to go,

The dealer fixed 2 OIL leaks. You are saying the radiator blew and that caused the engine damage. Forgive me...I do not see a connection.

BTW..I have had a radiator blow, i would think you would have plenty of time to pull off the road and shut it down before causing engine damage.

maybe i am missing something......anyone??

Rev

Re: The Real Story With The Real Facts, Since Yall Wanted It...

10-4 does sound a bit like you got roughed up at the dealership with the high prices they get. If you want to save a lot of money and have more confidence in your ride you'll spend a lot of time learning how to work on it. Think of it as a financial issue...you cant afford $60-80hr labor and dont trust the place that bends you over like that. It lowers your blood pressure too when you are the only one that works on your vehicle, when some thing goes bad either you screwed it up putting it in or the part wore out. Trust me, been there done that. When I went to college in 96 I went from a super reliable 95 nissan truck to a 76 montecarlo that I had to learn how to work on. Still was cheaper than payments and full coverage. And in these short 8 years I went from novice knuckle buster to mechanical genius...well maybe not that far....hmmmm....8 years......crap.....I'm getting old.....check your oil every day until you get to know the "new engine" and its consumption habits...I'm really getting old....that sucks....

Kudzu said:
Okay Boy and I mean boy..you just turned 21 so you better back up and watch who your gona diss around here...I have had my Jeep for 15 years and I currently own 5 XJs so when I asked you to clarify you post I believe i know what I am talking about...

As to your real mans truck...well I guess this little southern Belle doesn't know about those things...I just have an XJ with a 6.5" Long arm and 34 x 10.50 SS LTBs, D44 rear locked with 4:88s...BTW why don't you comeon out to Tellico in March with the SE chapter..Maybe if I meat you in person I will have a different opinion of you....or maybe not...We will be there either before or after St. Patricks day.

Somebody sure is cranky today :D

Shoot, she was being nice I thought. ;)

$102.10 to replace a drive belt? I know now I'm in the wrong line of work.

OK, I'm with another of the evil empire. I work in the parts dept of Riverside chrysler jeep dodge in New Bern. What's the vin number of the vehicle so that I can determine if the parts were overpriced as well. I don't understand why they didn't replece the rear main when they replaced the front tranny seal since you're right there and a common leak could have been prevented with a little judicial selling of the tech. I know this doesn't help with what you have done already but if you're in the area, don't be hesitant to stop in for a visit or repair

Partsbill

Kejtar said:
Somebody sure is cranky today :D

Nice ketchup head. You sure can read people, NOT!

She should have used a bigger stick to beat it into his skull, maybe she has one for you now!

hinkley

Camo,

Now that money wasn't spent for nothing just was a big one to learn a lesson on. Dealers are for people who don't know anything about their vehicle or want not to work on their vehicle.

Hopefully you have now realized you have found a place that can teach you alot about the xj. People like Kudzu around hear knows more about the xj than the guys who worked on yours. Sit back read, ask questions, and learn. Next time you'll be able to save 1000.00 and fix it yourself. Hopefully you'll also learn posting druck can be harmful to your answers. :D

hinkley

Last edited:
Back