• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering creaking noise?

d10shun

NAXJA Forum User
My steering is making a weird creaking noise as I turn the wheel back and forth. I opened the hood to listen to the noise better. It sounds like either the steering rod or steering box. Where could this noise be coming from? I have checked the drag link, tie rod and ends and lubed all zerks. All box bolts are tight and there is no cracks in the frame.

d10shun said:
My steering is making a weird creaking noise as I turn the wheel back and forth. I opened the hood to listen to the noise better. It sounds like either the steering rod or steering box. Where could this noise be coming from? I have checked the drag link, tie rod and ends and lubed all zerks. All box bolts are tight and there is no cracks in the frame.

Check the trackbar. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the trackbar. Either the bracket is worn out or the end is bad or the axle end needs tightened.

The track is always loose. I tighten it every week. The noise is definately coming from the steering rod or box. I have put my head half way into the engine compartment to check. It sounds like a door opening in a horror movie. I shot some silicone lube on the rod but the sound persists. I will check the rod bolts next.

Did you ever figure out what this was? I have the same problem. It is most definitely coming from the steering box. I hear it when I hit bumps or turn the wheel quickly. It transmits the sound right up the steering shaft into the rig.

Brad

Im right there with you guys...Dosent sound like its hurting anything but its pissing me off. Ive checked everything on the steering, bushings, box, steering shaft, --- anyone know whats causing this.

I've got sorta like a clunk like something clicked into place when i turn to the right sometimes but it doesnt squeek. So im sorta in the same boat.

Creeeeeeeeck, pop, clang.

I tore down my trackbar last night. I replace the 5/8 bolt that goes through the hiem (i before e?) and threw on some locktite. The old threads were flat! While I was in there I tried to move the trackbar mount to replicate the noise but could not get the sound.

Maybe I am not strong enough to do it but it could be suspect. If you look at the brace from the inside engine compartment you will notice it is two pieces of metal welded together. There could be a crack in the weld not visible from the outside. Once I bolted everything together and tightened the trackbar bolt, I place my feet on the front axle and tugged on the trackbar. I heard the creak!!! I place my finger on the ball of the hiem itself and felt vibrations. And where there are vibrations, there is noise.

My trackbar is from the procrap, uh procomp lift. I am planning to purchase the Rusty's trackbar and drop brace that gets rid of the hiem all together. I am waiting for my tax return to drop $190 on it. I will let you know how it goes. BTW, anyone know someone running this trackbar?

Ben

Noise

Check to see if the upper track bar mount bolts are loose and allowing the mount to shift on the unibody. I had that problem with my son's xj- oh it popped also making me think at first it was the box. The nut takes a 18mm and the bolts are 15mm. tightened it all -noise is gone! :cheers:

I had the same prob. I replaced the bushing on the track bar and I was good to go. Now, It's got a dropped pitman arm and the bolt was coming a hair loose. Tighten, hit it with a hammer, then tighten it again, Cuase thepitman arm was pivoting side to side and making an awful racket! Maybe that will help ya some.

willysnut said:
Check to see if the upper track bar mount bolts are loose and allowing the mount to shift on the unibody. I had that problem with my son's xj- oh it popped also making me think at first it was the box. The nut takes a 18mm and the bolts are 15mm. tightened it all -noise is gone! :cheers:

This is what I just found on my XJ. I had my Girlfriend turn the wheel back and forth and I found that the dropped trac-bar mount was shifting on the unibody. Tightened it up and no more squeak. So much for the steering box theory. Thanks for the ideas.

Brad

No Rustys trackbar yet. I am trying to go the super cheap way.

I replaced the 5/8" bolt that goes through the heim joint. I am going to buy the 15mm/18mm bolts today and try that. I wanted to buy a new heim but the guys at Napa AND Checker never heard of a heim! :huh: Are these a secret part only known to 4wheelers? Any suggestions for online places? I believe it is a 3/4" thread on my procomp trackbar.
Ben

I have had several issues with creaking and popping when I turned my wheel, they all turned out to be track-bar related, first time it was that the mount had come loose on the frame so I replaced it all with all grade 8 or 12 hardware. Then the next time it turned out to be the joint at the end of my RE track-bar. I usually grease it everytime I change the oil, but the last time the Zerk wouldn't take any grease so like a dummy I was like ahhhh I will deal with it later and sure enough I started to get a mean squeal and pop, but after I replaced the Zerk and greased it up with some waterproof grease, it is as quiet as ever.

Back