• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting Front Pinion/Castor Angles

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
I am almost done installing my first lift: a Rubicon Express 4.5" SuperFlex kit with HD Track-bar and adjustable control arms (upper and lower). I understand that I can use the adjustable lower control arms to get the wheels centered in the wheel wells. I also understand that I can adjust the front pinion angle by adjusting the length of the upper control arms.

What I don't know is what to shoot for. If I was only considering pinion then I could just use an angle finder on the pinion and the drive shaft. However, that will make a mess of the steering. I searched and saw lots of comments about getting the castor set and working from their - but what am I shooting for in castor? How is it typically measured?

Thanks,
-Brian

BTW: I basically understand the concepts for drive shaft angles (from learning about the SYE/CV-ds) but I know zip about stearing angles.

Well, I can't give you specifics about the angles on my Jeep, I never measured them. I just adjusted the front driveline angle untill the driveline vibes went away, then I just decided to live with whatever steering issues came up. I do get some steering wander, but that is it. Caster will not wear your tires, so just keep adjusting it untill the vibes go away and leave it. I am at 6" of lift with long arms.

Bryan

Take a look at my site and it will show what you need to know my friend ;-)

Whether or not you can gain back some wheelbase will depend on what size to you run.When I had that lift but with RE fixed lowers(16") and the uppers set at 15 1/2" the caster came in about 4.5-5*.You are a little better off since I have an LP D30.Anyway with 32x10.5's I would rub the plastic bumper return when stuffed!

Back