• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

metal expansion tank for early 4.0

BIGWOODY

NAXJA Forum User
I know summit used to offer one , anybody got a clue what the part number is or if any others are availible? Need help quick, thanx....

Moroso has a site too. It depends on which one you want. I think there are two sizes that could fit. Seems like Eagle has one. I'll check and see about part no. Also check out JEEPINJOE.com for another alternative. You can add a filler neck in your radiator hose using a Moroso part and then add an overflow container that is not under pressure. This is a lower cost option, but the expansion tank is cool cause you have no other modifications. I haven't made up my mind which to do yet.

Those part numbers look correct. I have the 1.5-quart with billet neck, but the stamped neck is probably more than adequate.

Someone else recently posted a nifty solution using a plastic bottle that takes a regular radiator cap. He found it in a Pontiac in a junkyard and paid $5 for it.

The Moroso solution is a bit pricey, but it works. I'd do it again. In fact, I will -- I have two more tanks waiting to be installed in MJs.

If you would rather have open its cheaper to swap in a moroso fill neck in the upper radiator hose and a HO style heater valve.

Gary E said:
If you would rather have open its cheaper to swap in a moroso fill neck in the upper radiator hose and a HO style heater valve.

This is a good budget solution, but I think the Moroso tank is a far more functional and "elegant" solution. First, it puts the radiator fill cap well up at the highest point of the system (higher than a neck spliced into the upper radiator hose), plus it adds an additional 1.5 quarts of capacity to the cooling system.

The Moroso tank, since it has a conventional radiator cap and overflow port, also converts to an "open" system, but it requires to modifications to either the heater valve or the auxiliary fan switch in the radiator. With the OEM plastic bottle, it also functions as a sealed expansion tank, so when the system is cold the bottle is filled only half way. With the Moroso tank the system is filled all the way, eliminating air from the system and increasing capacity beyond stock. The filler neck in the radiator hose reduces system capacity to less than OEM.

IMHO, the filler in the hose is an okay quick-and-dirty budget fix for a cracked OEM bottle, but it's not a good long-term solution.

I just did a conversion on my 1989 XJ, used a radiator out of a 92 XJ and it cost me $104 new. I then eliminated the bottle and the radiator was thicker than the old one. The new radiator has the neck on it , the neck comes out right in front of the air box. Email me if you need help.

simonsxj said:
I just did a conversion on my 1989 XJ, used a radiator out of a 92 XJ and it cost me $104 new. I then eliminated the bottle and the radiator was thicker than the old one. The new radiator has the neck on it , the neck comes out right in front of the air box. Email me if you need help.

The new-style radiator doesn't have any place for the auxiliary fan switch. How are you controlling your aux fan? That's always been the biggest problem about doing the radiator conversion.

Auxillary fan switch.

For now I have it running constantly. Later on I will use a switch which uses a temp probe that sticks into the radiator, they sell those at auto parts stores for use with aftermarket electric fans. They cost about $19.95. I have done this on about 4 XJ's and 2 MJ's. Works great and runs alot cooler.

Hey Simonsxj

Where did you get the radiator for $104? Is it a standard 2 core or is it the GDI 3 core?

What's up with so many XJ's and MJ's? Did you roll them or blow the motors?:jester:

edit:I have to agree that the sensor for the electric fans that goes between the fins works real well. That is what I have done.

Last edited:
I seem to remember that a certain friend of mine blew a motor and then got mine out of my rolled XJ. I got the rad at Central Auto Parts. You will never guess where I got the idea for the sensor from???;) I seem to collect Jeeps. That sensor was adjustable too wasn't it?

Back