• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powder Coating?

M. Lake

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know if on right board, toss around if need be.

I have a set of aluminum rims that I would like to put on my project after it is done. What kind of issues will I have if I try this? :shiver:

M. Lake said:
Don't know if on right board, toss around if need be.

I have a set of aluminum rims that I would like to put on my project after it is done. What kind of issues will I have if I try this? :shiver:

I had quite a bit of steel powder coated but not aluminum, although the process would be similar. With steel, I have it slag blasted (not sand, can lead to coating failure) and then drop it off the the PC shop. The PC needs to have a clean semi-rough surface to properly adhere to. All paint, clearcoat, rust, dirt. etc. must be removed prior.
Hope this helps.

aluminum can be powdercoated....

I suggest an epoxy powder-primer and a TGIC-polyester top coat....

be advised that the success of the powercoat is totally up to your coater if they use good materials, and know how to dial in line speed and bake temp for your parts....YMMV

powercoat cannot be easily touched up.

I powder coated just about everything on my dragbike, including the wheels...bug strikes at 175 mph used to damage the paint...and powder coat is impervious to just about any kind of fuel or oil...just be sure the coater properly masks or plugs anything that you dont want the coating in or on.

Back