• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE quick disco rubbing

coach9119

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a RE 3.5" lift (RE6030 kit) installed (90 XJ, stock wheels and tires for now) and I have two problems. The 6030 kit has full leafs, front springs, lower control arms, quick disco's.

First, the top bolt for the left front quick disco is rubbing on the frame when I go over big bumps. There is very little room between the top of the sway bar and the frame too. Is this typical of RE discos? I know they aren't the best, but I thought they'd at least fit where they are supposed to!

Second, the pins that hold the post in are very close to the springs, and rub at times. This is on both passenger and driver side, and I'm sure the pins are going to bend or break. I guess I can cut the pins down, but again, I thought the kit would fit better.

The simple answer is JKS discos, but I'd rather spend the money on tires. Anyone have similar experience with the RE kits?

Question;

Is your TraBar adjusted correctly? If your frt. tires are off center, it will cause your Sway Bar mounts to pull to one side or the other.

Could be your trac-bar. If not your sway bar could have moved over inside the bushings.

As for the pins being close to the coils I had that probem too. If you got the DT3000 shocks then in the kit of the shacks they came with these aluminum spacer lookig things that are not used. I put those between the head of the pin and the sway bar and it works great.

sounds like my problem.. i did the same lift and did not replace the trackbar.. and since you made no mention of it i assume you did the same thing.. my axle is offset by about a full inch.. and the way i corrected this was to shim the discos center them with the body and not the axle... a bunch of big washers did it for me.. i bet your discos are binding up and dont come apart very easily either.. a bunch of washers is a safe bandaid but a new trackbar setup is the proper fix..
mike

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the lift was done by a 4Wheel Parts near me because I don't have the space to work on stuff too much in my apartment's garage. The trackbar was relocated about an inch or so to the right, but I'm guessing that's not enough.

The next question is JKS adjustable or RE trackbar? It looks like JKS is beefier than the RE trackbar. Anyone have a feeling one way or the other?

Thanks for the help!

- Andy

Last edited:
Go JKS!

Or get the RE HD one.

I'd take it back to 4WD Parts, I would assume they would guarantee their work.

Definately going to take it back to them, but I'm assuming they will just recommend I replace the track bar. They already think I should replace the drive shaft b/c of some minor vibration (tclose lowering kit is already in place) but I want to try removing the drive shaft to see if the vibe goes away before I plunk down the $250 for a new shaft. The vibes are very minor, so I think I can wait a bit.

Thanks all for the input, I'll post the fix after I talk to 4WParts.

Back