• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N filter and CA emissions

clay

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a Rusty's air tube with a K&N 5 inch cone air filter (I already have the Rusty's Catback system with the flowmaster muffler). If I install this will my xj still pass CA emissions? I wouldn't have thought anything of it since it is the CAT that usually passes or fails the test for you but in small letters on the K&N box it reads, "Intended for off-road, racing or marine applications only. Not intended for use on emission controlled vehicles." Anyone else in CA run a K&N?

Thanks,
Clay

Unless it has a CARB EO # then no, it won't pass a visual.

It depends where you take your Jeep. Some places won't touch it, others will take your cash and just run the report. A few of the aftermarket manufactures (Turbo City) have their K&N kits approved by CA. Ask Rusty if he has an "EO" number for his kit. :laugh2:

I know over here in Maryland they don't even look at the stuff. I also have a Snorkle on mine and they didn't look at the. I would say it's just the pick litter as to where you go. Juice

If I remember correctly if depends on the year of the XJ 91' and below I believe wont pass visual, which is stupid.

-Joe S.

yea but those FIPK are for 91 and above only. I have one for my 90 that i modded up a bit and i have the sticker with the number. Hope They don't realize anything is off.

Hmm.. reading that now kinda makes me wonder. For my Renix system I scrapped all that those thermostatic controls when i removed the airbox. Oh well i guess i can always sell the FIPK and put in a snorkel. The snorkel connects to the stock airbox and doesn't require any mods to the thermostatic controls, does it?

Just keep your stock box ready for the inspection :repair: , it's only a 10 minute install, then after you pass put it back on :repair: . That's what I always do, not worth risking the $40+

FELIX said:
Just keep your stock box ready for the inspection :repair: , it's only a 10 minute install, then after you pass put it back on :repair: . That's what I always do, not worth risking the $40+

Actually I went back to them with the stock airbox and the following:

Smog Check Inspection Manual, issued by the BAR, revision 6, dated Aug. 2002.

Appendix K: Smog check requirements for modifications and add-on parts. Page K-4 Category I. Items not of concern: Non-thermostatically controlled air cleaners and/or elements. (Note: Applicable PCV and/or EVAP systems must remain closed with the new air cleaner assembly installed. Additionally, any other emission related components must remain intact.)

and I told him that all is legit. He agreed but still wanted to charge me $19.99 for retest (place I went to is next door to the place I used before, which no longer is in existance and this one charges for retest GRRR) but I told him that it is not my problem that he does not know rules and laws and I am not going to pay for a retest! He grumbled and retested me for free :D

Funny thing is that he asked me if I bought my airtube like that with the vent hose piece on top and just for the sake of getting it done and over I said yes.... while it's all done from an exhaust pipe and a little garden hose doohickey :D

Hey Kejtar, Glad it worked out for you. Happy New Year :party:

Rob

jeepster808 said:
Best bet for CA is to remove special stuff before you go to the smog station, then put it back on after it passes ...

I agree. It only takes 10 minutes if that to change the air filters out. Go with the stock set-up for the test and then swap in the cone filter after you pass. I installed my cone with the bottom half of the stock box to see how it works. I keep soaking the cone in mud when I wheel, so maybe the bottom half of the stock box will keep the filter cleaner longer. I'll have to see. My 89' wouldn't pass, but the renix (non-high output) till 90' use a thermogenic stock airbox that has a lot of sensors and junk on it. the high output 4.0L stock air boxes are much simpler and don't have tubes/wires/sensors running everywhere.

steinjeep said:
I agree. It only takes 10 minutes if that to change the air filters out.

Well... yeah.... but if legally I don't have to :D. Next time I will just be ready with that rule and tell them to bite me :D. Btw, I'm not sure how stock flter will now for me, as I have moved inside my washer bottle, and it's kind of moved forward from where it sits in the older units that had it there, and I think it might be in the way now...

Thanks everyone for the info. I too would like that citation available for when I go to get it tested. Where did you find it, online?

Thanks,
Clay

clay said:
Thanks everyone for the info. I too would like that citation available for when I go to get it tested. Where did you find it, online?

Thanks,
Clay

It was posted on the sierra chapter forum by someone who is a smog tech, and you don't need much more then that printout, cause the way I understand it, they have to have that booklet on site, and this quote refers precisely where (as in what page) that rule is.

I am so very glad Florida canceled the smog check, everyone said it was a rip off. I mean I would understand to require it for cars older than 5 years old. I mean come on! They required even new cars... my buddy bought his new car and the next day they required him to pass the smogcheck, that is so redickulous! :mad:

Back