• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome/Interior Light

NHXJer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All:

I am having trouble with my dome lights:

They'll light up when you open the doors or turn on the dome lights on the headlight switch, but opening the rear hatch will not turn them on. I'm assuming that there is a mercury switch or something in there, but I have no idea where.

Any insight?

Thanks,
Chris

It's a crappy mechanical switch. It's part of the latch mechanism. You need to remove the rear interior hatch panel to get at it.

NHXJer said:
Hey All:

I am having trouble with my dome lights:

They'll light up when you open the doors or turn on the dome lights on the headlight switch, but opening the rear hatch will not turn them on. I'm assuming that there is a mercury switch or something in there, but I have no idea where.

Any insight?

Thanks,
Chris

Not for nothing, check the light in the cargo area, it should push in and out to turn it on and off, sounds silly, but I've forgotten to reset it more than once and when the lights didnt go on with my keyless remote that was the fix. Hope this helps!

Chuck

My Hatch Seal Had A Gap Right At The Latch And Allowed Water To Rust The Contacts. Filled The Gap With Rvt And No Problems Since.

Reddogg.xj

The rear hatch lamp switch design is marginal at best...I just replaced the entire latch assembly with OEM factory parts on my '96 (170K Miles) the lamp switch worked great for the first month and is now intermittant...I may need to silicone lube the switch due to moisture...

Back