• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cost to replace t-case chain?

PDXXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out if my local 4X4 shop is charging a reasonable price to replace a stretched t-case chain.

How many hours should it take? What would you expect to pay as a shop rate and for parts (the new t-case chain)?

T-Case is NP231
Shop is in Portland, OR

It's been a couple years, but IIRC a 231 J-model chain at NAPA was right at $100.

I replaced mine with the case still attached to the tranny, and I don't recall it being more than a couple hours...plus I fought with the big snap-ring for way too long. (didn't have the right pliers) Someone who knows what they are doing probably could do this job in an hour or so.

Funny, I just logged in here because I'm doing this myself out in the driveway right now. For the second try =)

Make sure you have a good set of lock-ring pliers, and there is a 12-point 10mm bolt that can be a bitch.

I'm having one hell of a time getting the case to split after removing all the bolts.
Anyone have a special trick for me or something to make it easier? Just can't seem to get it to budge. Once I do I'm home free.

the chain I got cost me 110 from my local 4 wheelers supply. At the time I asked them how much it would be for a rebuild and they were telling me it depends on what is damaged when they crack it open. I ended up doing it myself to avoid the run around. It was a cake job I dont see why anyone should pay someone else to do it.

Back