• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing suspension compenents

SpyderXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I have about 4" of lift. This summer I am planning on getting some ACOS and 1.25" shackles.

Before I lift it any higher, what other components of the suspension will need to be replaced with better stuff? Will I need to get longer LCA's and UCA's? What steering components?

I figure it's better to make sure everything is going to function right before I go higher.

Also, I'm about to get H-n-T SYE. If I go 1.25" higher in the summer will I have to get it lengthened?

Thanks.

Spyder,
I am going from stock to 3.5" lift this saturday, and I am redoing my LCA's so yeah... you'll prolly want to do that. I hear isnt a must at 3" or so but much higher its a must. Just my .02

As far as steering. I have not yet upgraded to beefier stuff yet, All I would be able to do right now anyways would prolly be a tie rod, but I don't see the point in beefing up part of the steering without doing it all. If the tr is a weak point... so be it, its easy to get to and easier to replace than other steering components. By beefing up the tr, you make the rest of the steering the weak points. Instead of snaping the tr you bust something else... if you're gonna do any , do it all. Again... just my .02

-Royce

Upgrading, well look at most of the kits out there. See what they package together.

Here's the stuff you usually don't find:

Brake lines $50 - $100

Brake upgrades $100 - $200

Over-the-knuckle steering and/or inverted T, $150 - $500
This is better than just a tie rod up grade

Long arm kit or drop brackets, $500 - $800

Skid everything, brace everything

Fender trim, new flares $150 -$350

Bigger tires $400 - $900

New wheels with propper Back Spacing $120-$400

You said you have a 4" lift, what kind is it?

RE 3.5 full leaf pack. I've netted closer to 4" though.

Right now I have some 31" Goodyear A/T's on stock rims.

Here's a pic of my rig.

MRDrive.jpg

You'll definitely need different wheels, If you go with tires wider than 10.5.

If all you have is lift and tires, make sure you have all your skid protection covered, rock slider nerfs, LCA skids, TC skid, gas tank skid.

Depending on the wheeling your doing, safety equipment, Hi-lift jack, spare parts.

Last to add to my previous list and very important,

GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, then maybe one or two TAD(traction adding devices).

If you are going to regear, do it with an axle that's worth it. D44 Ford 8.8.

Yeah - skids all around is on the list for this summer. Then some M/T and some AR 767's or similar.

I've got the longer LCA's that came with the lift. How much of a difference will Adjustable LCA's and UCA's and drop brackets make? Are they worth it?

Thanks for the help.

Back