• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alabama XJ's

biggene

NAXJA Forum User
HI Guys and Gals,

Newbie here with some questions.

I just bought a 92 XJ Laredo and want to lift it. I was thinking of a RE 3.5 with AAL, edelbrock shocks, and 31's. What I want to know is if I need to install a SYE or will a trasnfer case drop kit work too? Anyone have any problems with a lift this small?

Also are there any XJ's around the Anniston, Gadsden, Boaz area and are there any places to 4 wheel around here?

Thanks for your time and efforts to educate me!!

Gene

I lifted my 01 to 3" with a Rusty's AAL and soon to be running 31x10.50 BFGs not problem needing a SYE just droped the TC. As to the Wheeling, a group gets together in Gadsden evry once in a while and then there is always Gray Rock...I prefer running up to Mont Eagle,Tellico and sometime soo to Hit Blairsville.

Just depends on what your looin for...The SE Chapter will hold monthly rides this next year...The events guy should be working on a temp schdule of places and have it posted soon. I know for sure we will be in Tellico St. Patricks weekend in March, July 8-10 and Last weekend in Oct. other than that it is up in the air.

We also plan to hold a few 4x4 shows in the spring.

Kudzu said:
I know for sure we will be in Tellico St. Patricks weekend in March
before or after?

biggene said:
Also are there any XJ's around the Anniston, Gadsden, Boaz area and are there any places to 4 wheel around here?

Thanks for your time and efforts to educate me!!

Gene

hey Gene..

Lane here..

from Glencoe..

Gadsden doesn't have much in the way of any all day or half a day trails to ride..

found some guys (Gadsden area) that say that they ride from around the owls hollow area up a trail that eventually ends up connecting w/ the "JFK Trail" that runs along the brow of Lookout Mnt. from Nocolulla Falls toward Leesburg, but i've not ridden w/ them & havent talked w/ them since before Christmas we played Phone tag a bit on the day we were Supposed to ride this supposed trail...

JLane:
Just a few days ago a friend and I were going to try and ride the trail from Cherokee Rock Village back to Gadsden on 4-wheeler's and we searched around for a little bit for a trail that was big enough to make this journey in our Jeep's. I am assuming you know of the trail and was wondering if you could steer me to the actual trail. Thanks in advance.
Daniel

Hey folks, sorry to barge in on this thread. I use to live in Hokes Bluff, actually went to Hokes Bluff High School (My Brother & I) and lived out in the backwoods of Ballplay....... of all places. Actually my Moms side of the family lives all within Etowah Cty. And one of these days we plan on driving back to visit mom, and want to find some trails too.
We used to have a Suzuki Samurai, and used to follow 4 wheeler trails in the woods off of Tomcat Rd. But that was about 10 years ago!!!! Hopefully if we ever make it back it'll be during one of the SE NAXJA runs!

Again sorry for bombarding your thread.... I miss the RED Mud in ALABAMA!

Scott Suyeto
NAXJA SoCal Chapter

mrfoo said:
JLane:
Just a few days ago a friend and I were going to try and ride the trail from Cherokee Rock Village back to Gadsden on 4-wheeler's and we searched around for a little bit for a trail that was big enough to make this journey in our Jeep's. I am assuming you know of the trail and was wondering if you could steer me to the actual trail. Thanks in advance.
Daniel

starting @ the Rock Village end its right along the brow of the mountain the whole way, give or take @ some points along the route it swing away from the brow 100 yds or so...

btw, its also along the brow same as i mentioned before in the opposite direction in case you might be coming from Noccalulla Falls area... :laugh:

it crosses Glen Gap Rd. if yer familar w/ that it runs from Owls Hollow Rd up the Mnt. side to Laysprings Rd. (Glen Gap hits LaySprings Just before the "Bridge Hospital".. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat...s=50&size=l&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=3782838&e=609027&s=100&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

i'm not sure if its still open all the way through its entire length or not..

a while back it was a big contreversy between the Land owners & people on atvs, horses, 4x4s & such..

on mtb i pedaled it back in the day when i was in shape & not lazy its like 23 miles one way from Glen Gap to Rock City...

i wasn't into jeeps then so i really didn't take notice of the trail other that trying not to die, & its been 10 yrs ago so...

the trail i mentioned, i still havent ridden on yet I HEAR is from around the North Gadsden area around Don's Butcher Block Groc. store west toward the mnt. through Owls Hollow up the side of the Mnt. & joins into the JFK trail near or @ the Rock Vill. but i still haven't seen it..

I'm in B'ham. I ride at Grey Rock ORV.

ZachMan said:
I'm in B'ham. I ride at Grey Rock ORV.

wherebouts you @ in b-ham i work in homiewood.. & drill @ the airport i'm always around in some form or fashion maybe we could find time to hit some trails @ Greyrock sometime never been..

btw, somebody may know who this is..
i saw a large, muddy, White, laredo xj last Night (on @ least 35s) turned off hwy 31 on the street adjacent to Mark's Outdoors as i was headed Northward yesterday evening after droppin a buddy off @ Bestbuy so he could pickup his car from bestbuy (install new sound syst.)

Tj owner soon to be a xj owner and I can tell you there are no real trails in anniston

muddyme

www.caos4x4.com

muddyme said:
Tj owner soon to be a xj owner and I can tell you there are no real trails in anniston

muddyme

www.caos4x4.com
Hey dude,
You lookin fer an XJ too???? Those darn kids.... there wasn't any room in my Samurai either! We nearly bought a BRIGHT YELLOW 01 today....but we were $1300 apart on price. Don't be buying my truck around Bham!
Later,
Andy [email protected]
PS. I'm in Northport for anyone who cares.... :viking:

Last edited:
ChuckstrPT said:
Hey dude,
You lookin fer an XJ too???? Those darn kids.... there wasn't any room in my Samurai either! We nearly bought a BRIGHT YELLOW 01 today....but we were $1300 apart on price. Don't be buying my truck around Bham!
Later,
Andy [email protected]
PS. I'm in Northport for anyone who cares.... :viking:
I promise andy I wont snag yours I have my eye on an 89 w lift in atl.

muddy

the weather is supposed to be a POS around here starting tomorrow (Wed) on thru Fri, nothing but rain,, Grey Rock will probly look like turd-soup..

& since my Xj DOES have more str8 body panels than Not I DON'T beleive i'll be in attendance, probly just take the kiddos to the WoWs @ the BJCC..

later
Lane

Back