• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lp dana 30 to hp dana 30 ?

xjmoser

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj with lp. can a hp be put in its place? any particular years to look for? i have a chance to get it for free.

Direct swap. BillR on this board did one this last year, so you might want to PM him. Dont look a gift horse in the mouth, but try and get a non-disco, 297 jointed HP30. HTH

Fergie

xjmoser said:
I have a 2000 xj with lp. can a hp be put in its place? any particular years to look for? i have a chance to get it for free.
BillR definitely did it, he got my HP D30. Just make sure you get a non-disco, then you already have the shafts and hubs from your 2k to swap in. Then you'll have spares. What year is the free-be?

Get whatever year axle you can fine. Then put your 2000 shafts in it and if it happenens to be a vac. disco. D30 then get a block off kit from Randy's R&P for like $30. Thats basicly what I have. I have an 89' with the factory HP D30, TJ shafts, 5-760 joints, and a block off kit. Works great ;)

It's an easy swap! Everything but your gears will swap over from the 2000 LP axle to the HP unit. The HP has another advantage in that it uses shims for pinion preload instead of a crush sleve. It's much more solid that way. I would look for a non-disco housing, for sure. Make sure it's after '90 so the outer knuckles are the same. They're not TOO tough to find. (THANKS Chuck!) :clap:

I have a HP dana30, how can I tell if it non disconnect ?
I know the knuckles will swap from my 01, so the HP dana30 must be 91 or newer.Correct ?

Thanks

High pinion D30's are in 98 (???) or older XJ's/MJ's, and also found in YJ's.

Back